Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GilbertRyle
Channel Surfer

Roku Express Won't Update / Roku Media Player Won't Install

Hi,

I have a Roku Express (3930, 3931 series)  (3930EU) which seems to be, err, confused.

It's currently on 9.1.1 - build 4198-AE and stubbornly refuses to upgrade to RokuOS 10. I believe the model is supported by RokuOS 10.

It also refuses to install Roku Media Player. It won't do it manually and it will try to do so as part of an update but will fail silently.

Some channels don't work e.g. iPlayer & Disney+. iPlayer fails when trying to play a programme and Disney+ it keeps requesting an update when trying to open. On the other hand NASA TV seems to be ok.

I have done a full wipe / factory reset on the device (the most recent was yesterday) but the problem persists with the same symptoms. Removing / rebooting / re-installing the channels doesn't change anything (and I can't get Media Player to install at all anyway).

I've had this issue for several months.

This is one of four Rokus in the house. All the others are working fine.

What's going on? Any suggestions - is there a reset beyond a factory reset? 

Regards,

Andrew

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express Won't Update / Roku Media Player Won't Install

@GilbertRyle 

The initial focus should be on the OS version. Generally, other issues could stem from that, so getting an update that should have rolled out over a year ago is the priority.

The EU prefix means it was sold through an EU channel of some sort, likely UK, Ireland, France, as Germany wasn't supported when OS 9 was released. So, where are you? Has that Roku device crossed countries? That can interfere with things. Give us any information you can about this.

Also tagging @RokuDanny-R 

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@GilbertRyle

Thanks for the post.

We would be more than happy to look into the issue you are experiencing.

Can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
GilbertRyle
Channel Surfer

@DBDukes 

Thanks for comments.

Sadly, no international travel here. I live in Northern Ireland (part of the UK) and I'm pretty sure it's never left the house.

I see Danny is look for my serial number. I'll pass that on in a minute...

Update - I seem to remember trying to load RTE player (RTE is the national broadcaster in Ireland) but that it wouldn't work. I thought I did that knowing the channel code rather than changing my region...

0 Kudos
GilbertRyle
Channel Surfer

@RokuDanny-R 

Thanks for looking into this. The serial number is X00400PTNYDS.

Regards,

Andrew

0 Kudos
GilbertRyle
Channel Surfer

Any progress here @RokuDanny-R ?

Thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
GilbertRyle
Channel Surfer