Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ku
Reel Rookie

Roku Device's Using HDMI 2.1

Which Roku Devices Supports HDMI 2.1 - All I see is support for HDMI 2.0

My TV will work fine with that now if I turn HDMI 2.1 off but Roku's last a long time.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Ku
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Device's Using HDMI 2.1

The Streaming Stick 4K also has an HDMI 2.0b connector instead of HDMI 2.1. However, Roku says the Streaming Stick 4K hardware is fully HDMI 2.1 capable. When asked to clarify this, Roku says there are lots of features inside the HDMI 2.1 spec that it wants to support. Like higher quality 10-bit video, or quick media switching (QMS) that makes the process of switching your TV’s refresh rate dynamically much smoother to suit the refresh rate of the movie you’re watching. The problem, Roku says, is that it can’t say the Stick has an HDMI 2.1 port unless it supports the full suite of features inside 2.1 including 8K video output. The company says it’s working with the HDMI organization to allow piecemeal support of features.

The lack of HDMI 2.1, for the time being, is more of a future-proofing concern. There isn’t a single streaming service that offers 10-bit video support yet, for starters. Also, the 2021 Apple TV 4K, which has a certified HDMI 2.1 port, doesn’t support other 2.1 features like QMS yet. Just keep this in mind if you’re planning on buying a streaming stick for your HDMI 2.1 equipped TV.

2021 Review 

Roku Streaming Stick 4K review: This $50 streamer has a huge secret

Roku Streaming Stick 4K 2021 review: Secret Dolby Atmos support (inputmag.com)