Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mtabber

Roku Not Acknowledging Micro SD Card

Jump to solution

I have sandisk 64gb SD card and have it working on Roku Ultra

1.  Format SD card on Windows 10 pc with Quick format with exFAT file system.

2. disconnect Roku from power/hdmi/ethernet cable.

3. Insert SD card into Roku.

4.  Reconnect Roku from power/hdmi/ethernet cable.

5. power on TV/Roku.

6. Roku recognizes SD card and asks to format, choose yes.

7. Takes about 5 min and everything was good to go.

Re: Roku 3 Not Acknowledging Micro SD Card

Jump to solution

Seems I'm late to the party...

My Roku 3 just stopped connecting to any of my wireless networks last week. Is that likely because I never got an SD card? If so, thanks to those who have gone before and have posted card specs, etc

Or, is the new update 10.5 the more likely culprit?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@polyglotRVA 

Using a SD card "may" cause some connection problems (often because data may become corrupt), but the lack of/not using an SD card will not cause connection problems.  Normally you will get a "memory" error message.

Feel free to create a new thread with the issue you are having and mention @AvsGunnar in your message so it will alert me you posted.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
BlackHorse

Jump to solution

This solution worked for me, thanks for posting.

0 Kudos
LowBandWidth
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Just went throught his myself.  Have two Roku 3s, and one died recently from lack of use (really!  maybe five hours total on it).  So replaced it with an LT (2017?), and added another LT to a third TV.

After doing some reading, and from experience with picky dashcams, ordered Transcend 4 GB C10 cards.  The LTs took them without problem; no preformatting required.  But the Roku 3 (4200X?) wouldn't, despite trying everything in this thread.

Found an old 2 GB card, from an old digital camera, and reformatted it on my W10 PC.  And the Roku 3 took it (including asking to reformat) without problem.

So ... Transcend Premium 4 GB C10 cards are apparently on the 3's verboten list.

0 Kudos
abidoodle

Jump to solution

I just bought a Sandisk 32GB and inserted it in my roku ultra. It wasn’t reading it at first. I had unplugged everything when I put the sd card in. Then I tried system restore. Nothing happened. I selected a channel I hardly use and voila, it asked to format the sd card. Whew! 

0 Kudos
tsaro

Jump to solution

My no-name 64gb card was recognized after removing and reinserting while the Roku 3 was powered. 

0 Kudos
THA2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

32 GB is the largest that it will recognize. Apparently, it is very important that the power be on when you insert the micro SD card. After many unsuccessful tries with the power off, I discovered that it worked immediately with my 4 GB class 4 cord if I inserted it with the power ON.

0 Kudos