Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DOK

Re: Roku 3 Not Acknowledging Micro SD Card

Jump to solution

I have the same issue -- I have tried both a 8gb and a 32gb SD Card  (sandisk). The system about screen always says SD Card not detected.

Did you ever get this to work?

- DOK

0 Kudos
marioguttman
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, I got the Kingston card to work. (purchased on Amazon) https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-microSDHC-Memory-SDC4-4GB/dp/B000VX6XL6/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords... My best guess from this forum is that the SanDisk cards don't work. You can waste a lot of time trying various fixes but what you need to do is buy a card from a different manufacturer.

0 Kudos
DOK

Jump to solution

I just tried a Kingston 32gb card. Nothing has changed, it still does not see the SD card.

Did you format the SD card before putting it in? (I did not). I did a reboot and when the Roku came back up it still said no SD card installed.

-- DOK

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@DOK 

Users have gotten their various 32gb cards to work, but really a case of hit and miss and some headaches along the way.  The link provided by @marioguttman suggested he used a Kingston 4gb card where you are trying to use a Kingston 32gb card.  Roku sells 2gb on their site so really does seem like using a lower gb card may be your answer.  (I think some of the Roku devices may just not like the larger cards...also unnecessary as it doesn't give you any more additional storage...Roku will only use "up to" the 2gb of any card you use.)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Misscrf
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Yes. 

I got 4GB class 4 micro cards and they worked instantly.  Roku's instructions for adding an SD card say nothing about max class or size, and they should.  This was way more frustrating than it should have been.

These were the micro cards I got, and they came with an sd card reader (sd size, not usb).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L8RC2Y2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

do not try 32gb. It’s way too big. They don’t store the content, just app data. Bigger size won’t help. 

Reboot your Roku, and when it comes back up fresh, then insert the card while the Roku is on. Give it a second and it should pop up a message for you to load it or whatever. Then you’ll be all set.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

No issues for me with a Roku3 and a newer Samsung 64GB card, worked the first time. Here's what I did:

1. Power off the Roku3. Disconnect the HDMI cable for easy access to the microsd port.

2. Insert the microsd card. For me, the microsd card is oriented so that the contacts on the card fact towards to top side of the Roku3 unit. Be patient as you slowly press the microsd card into place, go slowly, and you'll hear a nice satisfying click when it is inserted.

3. Plug the HDMI cable back into the Roku3, plug the power cord back into the Roku3.

4. It begins the bootup process, then the screen goes black, the light flashes 6 times (I think), then the bootup process starts again, and at that point, the Roku announces it has found a microsd card and would I like to format it. Yes, please. 5 minutes later, the formatting is finished.

I did not need to format the card on a different device first, it just worked using the sequence of steps above.

0 Kudos
Outat2

Jump to solution

Keeping my Roku powered on and popping in and out the SD card multiple times worked, after 4-5 tries. Obviously, check it after each time you pop it in and out. Good luck!

0 Kudos
Lawliss

Jump to solution

Just FYI.  I had the same problem/issue with my Roku 3 and a 64GB Micro SD.  Following the other user's suggestion, I reformatted the Micro SD on my computer using exFAT & reinstalled the card in my Roku 3.  Upon inserting the re-formatted 64GB Micro SD into my Roku 3, the card was immediately detected (and then prompted me to let the Roku 3 format the card).  As for the need why my Roku 3 prompted me to let it format the 64GB Micro SD card (which I had just formatted on my computer using exFAT), I assume that my Roku 3 only works with FAT or FAT32 formats (hence the need for the Roku 3 to re-format the Micro SD card).

I hope this helps!

M

P.S.  Kudos to the other user who previously posted the solution (i.e. formatting a Micro SD on your computer before inserting into a Roku 3).

ramosel

Jump to solution

Like so many, my older Roku 3 started telling me I needed to add a MicroSD card.  After finding a recommendation from Roku online that the Roku 3 (4200x) should have a 4GB MicroSD card, I ordered just that... Sandisk 4GB Class 4.  With no luck getting it to work on my own, I found this thread and tried every suggestion.  I can't tell you how many times I ejected/reseated the card trying to get it to be accepted. I formatted it, I long formatted it, no joy.   I finally gave up and grabbed another 8GB Class 10 card I had for a Game Camera, it too was a Sandisk.  Again, formatted, long formatted, ejected, reseated, no joy.   Honestly, I don't remember if it was earlier in this thread or on another but someone linked a Kingston 4GB Class 4 MicroSD on Amazon that they said worked for them.  So I ordered one.  It showed up today and right out of the package and into the MicroSD slot on the Roku 3, I got the screen notification that a MicroSD card had been discovered, would I like to format it?  I did and all is well.  Automatically a few of the rotational apps were downloaded and installed and even at just 4GB, only about 7% is being used.

So I don't know what the problem is with Sandisk, but there is a problem.  The Kingston equivalent worked just fine.   So are all MicroSD cards not created the same... or are all MicroSD readers not created the same?   I'll leave that to others.   But if you are having a problem getting a Roku 3 to acknowledge a MicroSD Card, try a 4GB Class 4 Kingston.

ClareG

Jump to solution

More specifically, format it as exFAT, and not NTFS. Roku didn't recognize the NTFS-formatted card until I reformatted it as an exFAT device