Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bh123wa
Channel Surfer

Roku 3 - MicroSD card unable to format

I have an older Roku 3 that I purchased a 2gb MicroSD card for. It detected it and asked if I wanted to format it. I said OK and after a period of time it said it couldn't format it. Looking for reasons why?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09T6NPVBB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: Roku 3 - MicroSD card unable to format

Probably an internal failure in the Roku itself.  That Roku was released back in 2013, so it is almost 10 years old. It will probably be ported over to the legacy products column sometime in October 2022.  Probably time to upgrade your Roku to an Ultra.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@bh123wa wrote:

I have an older Roku 3 that I purchased a 2gb MicroSD card for. It detected it and asked if I wanted to format it. I said OK and after a period of time it said it couldn't format it. Looking for reasons why?

Could be a bad card. Could be a bad card writer in the Roku.

Try formatting it on a computer using FAT32 and see if it can. If so, try it in the Roku again and see if it will format and work.

If it can't be formatted by the computer, then it could be that the card is bad, or was damaged by the Roku.

By the way, you don't really need a microSD card, but I expect you already know that.

The microSD card setup has been problematic on some Roku devices for years. The current Ultra no longer includes a port. Apart from that, the Roku 3 is a pretty good device, fantastic in its day, and will likely be supported for some time to come. However, as it does age, the day will come when it needs to be replaced. Just be ready for that to happen one day.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

bh123wa
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the reply. I was finally able to have it formatted after repeating the effort.

0 Kudos