Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnmsch
Channel Surfer

Roku 2 Not Recognizing MicroSD Card

Last night I got a message on my Roku 2 (Model 4210X) about needing to add a MicroSD card.  Don't remember the exact wording, but it was something to the effect of needing more space to store channels.  It then took about a minute to load the channel I had selected.

Today I purchased a PNY 16gb card.  I was going to get a 2gb card, but the smallest one they had was 16gb.  Got home and disconnected the power and HDMI cable and put the card in.  At first I tried putting the card in label side up, but it wouldn't fit, so I flipped it over and it went in fine and locked into place.  I then plugged in the HDMI cable and power cord.  The unit booted up, but I never got the message about the unit wanting to format the card.  When I go to the system info page, at the bottom, it says MicroSD Card - not installed.

Any idea what the problem is?

Thanks

Labels (1)
43 REPLIES 43
Bacon
Roku Guru

Re: Roku 2 Not Recognizing MicroSD Card

Roku 2 and 3 are stupidly pick about SD cards. I have one that didn't work on either than works fine in my Prem+.

You don't really need them though. Even when you have it the load time is about as long as when you download the channel without one installed.
0 Kudos
johnmsch
Channel Surfer

Can anyone recommend a brand/size of card that is known to work with this Roku 2?
0 Kudos
dgf
Visitor

I have an early 4210x and this works in mine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015 ... UTF8&psc=1

it's pricey prolly because it's old so the seller capitalizes on the fact it can't be found everywhere. I ended up with this one because iirc there were one or two reviewers commenting on it working in the roku2.

originally I got this then found out sdhc was a no-go in at least my roku: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001C ... UTF8&psc=1

edit: I forgot to mention that for me it wasn't even worth adding the sd card. I only play a few games, have a bunch of themes, have ~100 channels loaded, watch up to 10 or so most of the time and all the rest are ones I keep loaded so I don't have to go hunting for them if I want to watch one of the others.

tbh the sd card has made 0 difference afaict. nothing is noticeably faster, afaik I have 0 control over what the roku uses it for, etc. I think someone posted in a thread here somewhere that an sd card is a waste unless you keep like 200+ channels loaded.
0 Kudos
johnmsch
Channel Surfer

"dgf" wrote:
originally I got this then found out sdhc was a no-go in at least my roku: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001C ... UTF8&psc=1

Bingo, that's the ticket.  The card I got is marked SDHC.  I was just in Fry's (my favorite toy store) and found a plain 4gb card for $5.  Will give that a try this weekend.

BTW, I have read a lot about using these cards in a Roku and understand they are not normally needed.  However, when I got that message/suggestion about installing one, and then having to wait about a minute for a channel to load (complete with progress bar) without it, it became a no-brainier for me.

Thanks for the reply!
KJ4UW
Visitor

My unit would not recognize the first sd card....called roku help. The card they recommend DID not work either. Never got the format prompt. The thumb drive doesn't get noticed. Roku 3. I also have a very early model in the bedroom. I love Roku, glitches and all.
0 Kudos
johnmsch
Channel Surfer

Never did get this to work.  😞
0 Kudos
Oldsurfer
Reel Rookie

I have the same problem. Bought an 8gb Scandisk micro sd card and it is not recognized by my Roku 3.
0 Kudos
Fredman1
Visitor

Ditto here. I have a Roku 2 box I bought in December 2016, I tried putting in a quality 32gb card as I have a bunch of them, not only does it not work, it totally locks up the box so you cannot do a single thing with it. The only way out is to eject the card and unplug the power from it, and plug the power back in. It's a shame nobody from Roku is on here to give advice, they have a GREAT product unless they screw up the customer service side of it.
Tajson
Visitor

I bought a stack of these MicroSD cards ( SanDisk Ultra 32GB UHS-I/Class 10 Micro SDHC - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M55C0NS ) some years ago for local storage in security cameras, phones, and rokus. I know it is a bit overkill for Roku but there are still some in my drawer and they work in our Roku boxes (Current and previous generations).