Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
c0nn1ev5
Reel Rookie

Reset button? Under what circumstances

Jump to solution

Under what circumstances do I use the reset button on the back of the Roku Express? What will happen to the info used / saved on the device?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Reset button? Under what circumstances

Jump to solution

It would be wiped clean as if it were just taken out of the box for first time. Nothing is saved. Its used to fix problems, or when you want to sell it give away? 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

It would be wiped clean as if it were just taken out of the box for first time. Nothing is saved. Its used to fix problems, or when you want to sell it give away? 

Edmund

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

It's only wiped clean if you hold the reset button for 30 seconds.  If you just press and release it it's just like a system restart from the Settings menu or pulling the power cord for a few seconds and plugging it back in.

0 Kudos
Florida33435
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Will hitting reset on remote fix the problem I have with my one day-old Roku 4K Stick giving me the HDCP ERROR the first morning I turn it back on? It was awfully hard for me, a 70 year-old woman, to move the tv that’s mounted high on the wall to unplug tv and Roku and cables. My TV is 4K and cables were tight and nothing else is attached to TV.  It just did this overnight from turning off and then on in morning. Not happy today. 

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

If you just bought it why don't you return it? I certainly would. Exactly when are you getting this error? What channel are you watching? You can reset the Roku through the system settings. There is no reset button on the remote. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Florida33435 

Reset button on the remote? Are you talking about the little button underneath the battery cover near the bottom of the back of the Roku? If so, that's not a reset button. That is used to pair the remote to the device. If your remote controls the Roku, don't press that button.

The bad news is that an HDCP error usually means the device isn't seated properly. It's loose.

https://support.roku.com/article/208755468

I wish I had better news.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Florida33435 

Try going into your Roku Settings and Disabling the Power Saving Feature. (known to cause some HDCP errors).

Settings...System...Power...Auto Power Savings (Uncheck box to Disable).

Feel free to post back with an update or if you need more help.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Florida33435
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I meant reset on the stick, not remote. My error. I was just watching NBC I think. Turned off Roku to go to sleep and this morning turned tv on and error screen appeared. Unplugged all and that fixed it. If happens again, I’ll try reset in system settings. Happens again, back to Target. 

0 Kudos
Florida33435
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks, my error.  I meant reset in stick. Anyway, it couldn’t be seated any tighter. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Roku’s do not turn off. If the remote was paired with the TV then all you did was turn the TV off. Always be sure when you are done streaming something to go back to the Roku Home Screen. Then shut off your TV

0 Kudos