Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smkkimmel
Reel Rookie

Requires Multible Device Reboots

During the course of a day my Roku Express using the Xfinity app either freezes or crashes requiring a reboot of the device.  If I turn the device on it frequently does not go the the Xfinity start up screen but goes directly to the Xfinity menu screen.  If I do this a few ties a day the screen crashes while watching content.  To cure it I need to reboot the device by shutting down and restarting from scratch.  Its very annoying.  I have several Roku devices and it does not happen on any of the others.  By the way I have replaced this device in the last year and the same thing is happening with the new device. 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Requires Multible Device Reboots

Hi @smkkimmel

Thanks for the post.

Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Keep us updated!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
smkkimmel
Reel Rookie

My Roku Express is plugged directly into a wall outlet below the device.  I am really frustrated with this as I cannot get an answer as to what to do to fix it.  I have to reboot the device at least 3 times per day (meaning I need to back out of Xfinity Stream to the beginning screen and then go through the menu to get to the channel I want to watch.  I noticed that this is more likely to crash midway through a program  when thew Xfinity Stream start screen does not appear when I go through the restart routine.  Unless I pull the HDMI connector or go to the complete beginning (Xfinity Stream start screen) of the login process meaning hit the Start home button twice when logging off the Roku box.  By the way the Roku device sits on a table and is open to the air except for the bottom.  It is always warm to the touch.  Does it need additional cooling like lifting off the table to allow heat to dissipate from its bottom?  

Please get back to me.  Thank you.

Sandy Kimmel

[personal information removed]

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

@smkkimmel

Thanks for the reply.

For clarification, does the issue only occur on Xfinity Stream or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

If it's on Xfinity Stream only, removing the channel and then reinstalling it may help. To ensure the process is successful, restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know how it goes.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos