Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RGonenow
Channel Surfer

Replace Ultra with Streaming Stick +

Jump to solution

Okay we know 10.5 OS bricked a goodly number of Roku Ultra boxes and me as well. I am unfamiliar with all the Roku Hack stuff. I worked as tech for compuer mobo company and have owned Roku boxes or sticks for at least 4 years and saw NO need to learn a lot about the Roku deal since my stuff mostly just worked. If it ain't broke don't fix it. 

Now the question is with my having a paid subscription to YouTube TV that is NO longer available to us Roku users as a new program I am reluctant to ditch my Roku Ultra for a spare Streaming Stick + in my possession since I cannot intall the YouTube TV app. 

So where are the channels actually stored? Are my channels stored off my in home boxes or sticks or is channel information stored in a stick or on the Roku Ultra? If I have to start cancelling paid subscriptions then I am going to have to look for some other streaming method and not a Roku Ultra...just saying. 

RGone...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Replace Ultra with Streaming Stick +

Jump to solution

Channels are linked to your Roku account, not your Roku device, so if you added a new device to your Roku account all your currently installed channels should be installed on the new device including YoutubeTV.

As to where they're stored, it's both on the device and in the cloud.  Each device has only so much storage space so when it fills up it starts to replace them as needed by downloading a channel that hasn't been used in a while when you try to launch it.

With regards to YoutubeTV, it's also available via the regular Youtube channel/app, so even if you lose it on the Home Screen you can still access it (for now).

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Channels are linked to your Roku account, not your Roku device, so if you added a new device to your Roku account all your currently installed channels should be installed on the new device including YoutubeTV.

As to where they're stored, it's both on the device and in the cloud.  Each device has only so much storage space so when it fills up it starts to replace them as needed by downloading a channel that hasn't been used in a while when you try to launch it.

With regards to YoutubeTV, it's also available via the regular Youtube channel/app, so even if you lose it on the Home Screen you can still access it (for now).

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RGonenow
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you for that precise and concise answer. 

RGone...

0 Kudos