Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cassmorris85
Reel Rookie

Reboot Roku Each time I watch TV

Hi! I just purchased two brand new Roku Ultras as an update to a couple of Roku devices I have had for MANY, MANY years. Anyway, I hooked them both up to the same TV's my previous ones were on and I have noticed that each time I go to turn my TV on, the Roku screen doesn't come on like it used to -- instead it says something about there not being a device hooked to that particular input I have selected, sorry I can't remember the actual words? Anyway, I always double check the input the device is plugged in to and make sure that's the one I have selected for the input I am trying to use - and sure enough, nothing has changed? So why do my TV's not seem to recognize the devices right away like they used to? Each time I go to watch TV, I must manually reboot my Roku and only then does the TV decide it recognizes the devices. This is on BOTH TV's and they are each different brands, one is a few years older than the other. I just think it's ridiculous to have to reboot every time we go to watch TV.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Reboot Roku Each time I watch TV

@cassmorris85 

Beginning with 10.5, Roku updated the OS to include more power options on some Roku devices. It isn't clear what all devices got the updated "feature" but it could be what you're encountering.

Settings > System > Power may be an option you have. If so, check the settings there. I can't check the exact settings as it's not on my device (which is running OS 11) but look around for that.

Also, rather than reboot the Roku device, what happens if you hit the Home button on the TV? In fact, that's how I activate my Roku device every time. That is, I exit screen saver via the Home button on the remote. Does that resolve it for you?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@cassmorris85  Your Roku is going to sleep. Go into settings/network and disable bandwidth saver. When your Roku is asleep all you need to do is press the Home button on your Roku remote to wake it up. The power settings DB mentioned may not be in your device. But you don’t have to reboot your Roku to use it each time. What you are seeing happens on my Sticks. All I do is press the Home button. Presto 

0 Kudos
cassmorris85
Reel Rookie

@DBDukes and @Ello2022 

Thank you both for responding to be and being so helpful. Your tip regarding the "power" option seems to have helped! When I turn my TV on now, it opens right up to the Roku screen as it used to before I upgraded. I will mention, though, that when I turn my newer TV on - the screen kind of looks like an old TV screen used to when the signal for the channel was lost, kind of grainy/wavy? Then I press the home button and it goes away. Any ideas what that might be?

Thank you again!!!

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Can you post a picture of what your talking about. Which Roku model do you have? Did you disable the bandwidth saver? Are you saying the Roku Home Screen looks grainy? It’s probably cause the resolution needs to pop in. What size is your TV? What is the resolution you have the Roku set to? 

0 Kudos