Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cromanof
Channel Surfer

Re: Really Need Assistance in Knowing Which Streaming Sticks to Buy

Jump to solution

This is amazing!!  Absolutely amazing!!  So, basically, if I wanted to watch a DVD I would just flip the switch on the HDMI switch and then when I wanted to go back to TV or Roku, I would just flip it back?

So.....the Roku Streaming Stick 4K would work for my three TVs (they are connected to DirecTv but run on wi-fi), correct?  I just want to be absolutely certain before I order.

What, exactly, would I call that magical "piggy-back" switch when trying to buy it?  Is there just one kind of HDMI switch?

And please tell me the exact words to use to trying to buy that extension cable.  Just that I need an HDMI extension cable?  There's just one kind?

Thank you for helping me!!!  Cindie.

Cindie R.
Electronically Challenged

0 Kudos
cromanof
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you so, so much!

Cindie R.

0 Kudos
cromanof
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Many, many thanks!

Cindie R.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@cromanof wrote:
So, basically, if I wanted to watch a DVD I would just flip the switch on the HDMI switch and then when I wanted to go back to TV or Roku, I would just flip it back?

Almost right. To watch either of the two sources connected to the HDMI switch, you would set the TV to use that HDMI port as its input, and use the HDMI switch to control which of the two devices gets sent to the TV. To watch anything other than those two devices, you'd have to switch the TV itself to the appropriate source.

So.....the Roku Streaming Stick 4K would work for my three TVs (they are connected to DirecTv but run on wi-fi), correct? I just want to be absolutely certain before I order.

Yes. ANY of the currently available Roku devices will work with your HDMI-equipped televisions. They can all connect to your home wifi network for their internet.  To make sure there is no misunderstanding -- each tv will need its own connected Roku device.

What, exactly, would I call that magical "piggy-back" switch when trying to buy it?  Is there just one kind of HDMI switch?

Amazon search for "HDMI switch": https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hdmi+switch

Some only have physical levers/slides/buttons to switch between inputs, some have remote controls.  Some have two inputs, some have more.  Most today support 4K.  Your older tvs may not be 4K but if you want 4K for future proofing, be sure it is specified, and you probably want one(s) supporting 4K @60 Hz, not be limited to 30 Hz.

A normal HDMI cable has male plugs at each end.  An HDMI extension cable has a male plug at one end and a female socket at the other so you can connect it to an HDMI cable that is too short in order to extend it.  If you need to extend, you could also just plug two normal HDMI cables together using an HDMI female-to-female adapter.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
cromanof
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I am so, so sorry that it has taken me so, so long to get back to you.  I had some real issues at home that truly interfered with my ability to respond any sooner.  I also apologize to anyone else to whom I may have been so very untimely in responding to, as well.

I just cannot possibly express how much I sincerely appreciate your time and effort in explaining to me how to connect two different sources to the HDMI switch and for explaining the difference between the Roku devices for me.

I don't know what I would have done without all the knowledge and expertise you shared with me (and the others as well).  Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!  Cindie.

Cindie R.

0 Kudos