Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cromanof
Channel Surfer

Really Need Assistance in Knowing Which Streaming Sticks to Buy

Jump to solution

I can't find anyone who will help me.  I have absolutely NO knowledge about streaming other than I was told by a TV Station that the one and only TV channel I really want is available through Roku streaming. 

Reading all of the info on this site is like reading a foreign language.  Would someone super knowledgeable help me (I can't drive to return the streaming sticks so I need to order the correct ones on-line from the get-go).

Money isn't an issue.  I want the best streaming sticks for my circumstances.  Per Spectrum Cable, my computer is connected to the internet by Ethernet; but all three of my TV's (all flat screens, but older TVs) are running using Spectrum wi-fi.  The actual programming services are provided by DirecTv.  An HDMI port is available on each TV once they disconnect the DVD players (I'll miss them).

One TV is fairly close to the wi-fi router thing but the other TVs are much, much further away.  So, I'm thinking I need streaming sticks that work the best when the wi-fi router is quite a distance from the TVs.

I also don't do well with voice remotes so if they make some that I don't need to use that function, that would be a plus. 

Again, the cost of the streaming sticks is not an issue and I will have them installed by the Geek Squad or someone like them.  With that in mind, exactly what three models of the streaming "sticks" (don't want those bars) would work best for me?  To whomever can help me, thank you!!  I wanted to ask a Roku person, but couldn't get help.

Cindie R.
Electronically Challenged

0 Kudos
10 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Really Need Assistance in Knowing Which Streaming Sticks to Buy

Jump to solution

@cromanof 

They all run the same apps.

What is the app? That's important.

Can you go to https://channelstore.roku.com and find the app? That's important.

The reason is long and complicated, and I'd rather not go into it unless you can't find it.

But the simple answer is all Roku devices will run the same apps. They Roku sticks use a version of the Voice Remote, either the standard Voice Remote, or the rechargeable Voice Remote Pro.

If you don't want to use the voice feature, don't press the voice button. It won't hear anything you say unless you press the button. Roku doesn't make a remote for a stick that doesn't have that feature. But, as I said, having the feature doesn't mean you have to use the feature.

Before you do anything, though, check the Channel Store and confirm the app is there.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

makaiguy

Jump to solution

@DBDukes wrote:

@cromanof 

If you don't want to use the voice feature, don't press the voice button. It won't hear anything you say unless you press the button. Roku doesn't make a remote for a stick that doesn't have that feature. But, as I said, having the feature doesn't mean you have to use the feature.

On the Voice Remote Pro (i.e. the rechargeable one) that came with my Streaming Stick 4K+ there is an on/off slide switch that can be set to keep the microphone live so the remote can listen for your voice commands all the time.  Some prefer this to having to hold down the microphone button when speaking.  Personally, I hardly use voice commands at all, so I keep this switch in the OFF position to prevent a feature I'm not using from draining the battery.  On the few occasions I think to issue a voice command, holding down the microphone button still works just fine.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I only see two models of "sticks".  (And they look the same except for the included remotes.) When you say "bars" I'm not sure if you mean sound bars or just anything that is not a "stick".  (ie are things like the Express and Ultra excluded or included?)

Personally, I recommend just getting one (pretty much any one) and "easing into it".  I think you'll find the hardware part is extremely easy.  I wouldn't bother getting anyone to "install" it unless you have a home theater where everything is built into the wall and you need some kid to crawl around back there.

What may be a little confusing at first is that streaming is a bit like the Wild West with many many apps and different service providers and different business models. ie: you're not stuck with either the cable company, or two satellite companies - you have many options and more all the time.  So, your streaming environment can be many different things – all using the same underlying hardware.  If you're used to cable, it may take you some time to get comfortable with it and then you'll have much better ideas of what you want to do next.

It's hard to predict Wi-Fi performance in someone else's house and "much further away" is vague.  If the house is wired for ethernet, an Ultra would be an obvious choice.  (One of the models that is not a "stick" and is not a "Sound bar" if that is what you meant by "bar".) I have an Express 4K+ at a far corner of my 2000 square foot house with the router roughly in the middle and up one floor, and Roku's speed test over 5GHz Wi-Fi maxes out at my ISP's speed coming into the house, (which is about 20 times what I need to stream HD) so in my case, I have no need for anything better than that.

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Strega wrote:

I only see two models of "sticks".  (And they look the same except for the included remotes.)...

You're thinking of the 3820 Streaming Stick 4K, the 3821 Streaming Stick 4K+, but you're forgetting about the 3811 Streaming Stick+ Headphone Edition from Best Buy (an exclusive!!1!). It's still in Best Buy's lineup. And $45 right now, cheapest of the bunch.

As far as I am aware, it's simply Roku's recently discontinued 3810 with a different remote and ear buds.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Oh yeah, and he did mention "Geek Squad" so maybe he was looking at Best Buy.

In any case, I would also recommend browsing Roku's compare page:

https://www.roku.com/products/compare

Hmm, it's interesting that that page has the LT which I think is a Walmart Exclusive but not the Best Buy Exclusive.

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Strega 

Yeah. It's on the main page, scrolling way down, but not on the compare. I found that out looking for the model number. I suspect it'll be leaving Best Buy soon, what with the $15 off price point. But, that's just a guess. And probably not a good one.

DBDukes

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@cromanof wrote:

... I just need to know if I can safely buy three of the  Roku Streaming Stick 4K and that they will work on all three TVs. ...

Any of the devices will work. 4K devices are backward compatible. There are several different levels of resolution that are commonly used:

• SD (480)
  • HD/720
  • HD/1080
  • UHD/4K (2160)
  • 8K (4320)

That's more data or image detail in the same area. Clearer picture. Roku makes 4K devices, but they'll work with any of it. A Roku HD (1080) device will play 4K content, but at HD/1080. But it works fine. And a 4K device will play 1080 content just fine. That's true of the source (what the stream wants to send) and the destination (the TV screen). Everything will work. Any question you have about will this (SD/HD/4k, etc) work with that (SD/HD/4K, etc), the answer is yes.

DBDukes

makaiguy

Jump to solution

@cromanof-

If there's only one available open HDMI port, but you want to connect two devices, you can "piggy back" two devices on the same port using an HDMI switch (not an HDMI splitter).  Then use the switch to select which device you want to view.

Hook up diagramHook up diagram

In the case of using a Roku Streaming stick, you may need to use an. HDMI extension cable (has a female HDMI socket at one end and a male HDMI plug at the other) to connect the Roku to the switch in order to place the switch in a convenient location.  Or you can use an HDMI female-to-female connecter with a normal male-to-male HDMI cable.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

cromanof
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you so, so much!

Cindie R.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@cromanof wrote:
So, basically, if I wanted to watch a DVD I would just flip the switch on the HDMI switch and then when I wanted to go back to TV or Roku, I would just flip it back?

Almost right. To watch either of the two sources connected to the HDMI switch, you would set the TV to use that HDMI port as its input, and use the HDMI switch to control which of the two devices gets sent to the TV. To watch anything other than those two devices, you'd have to switch the TV itself to the appropriate source.

So.....the Roku Streaming Stick 4K would work for my three TVs (they are connected to DirecTv but run on wi-fi), correct? I just want to be absolutely certain before I order.

Yes. ANY of the currently available Roku devices will work with your HDMI-equipped televisions. They can all connect to your home wifi network for their internet.  To make sure there is no misunderstanding -- each tv will need its own connected Roku device.

What, exactly, would I call that magical "piggy-back" switch when trying to buy it?  Is there just one kind of HDMI switch?

Amazon search for "HDMI switch": https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hdmi+switch

Some only have physical levers/slides/buttons to switch between inputs, some have remote controls.  Some have two inputs, some have more.  Most today support 4K.  Your older tvs may not be 4K but if you want 4K for future proofing, be sure it is specified, and you probably want one(s) supporting 4K @60 Hz, not be limited to 30 Hz.

A normal HDMI cable has male plugs at each end.  An HDMI extension cable has a male plug at one end and a female socket at the other so you can connect it to an HDMI cable that is too short in order to extend it.  If you need to extend, you could also just plug two normal HDMI cables together using an HDMI female-to-female adapter.

14 REPLIES 14
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@cromanof 

They all run the same apps.

What is the app? That's important.

Can you go to https://channelstore.roku.com and find the app? That's important.

The reason is long and complicated, and I'd rather not go into it unless you can't find it.

But the simple answer is all Roku devices will run the same apps. They Roku sticks use a version of the Voice Remote, either the standard Voice Remote, or the rechargeable Voice Remote Pro.

Before you do anything, though, check the Channel Store and confirm the app is there.

DBDukes

makaiguy

Jump to solution

@DBDukes wrote:

@cromanof 

On the Voice Remote Pro (i.e. the rechargeable one) that came with my Streaming Stick 4K+ there is an on/off slide switch that can be set to keep the microphone live so the remote can listen for your voice commands all the time.  Some prefer this to having to hold down the microphone button when speaking.  Personally, I hardly use voice commands at all, so I keep this switch in the OFF position to prevent a feature I'm not using from draining the battery.  On the few occasions I think to issue a voice command, holding down the microphone button still works just fine.

Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I only see two models of "sticks".  (And they look the same except for the included remotes.) When you say "bars" I'm not sure if you mean sound bars or just anything that is not a "stick".  (ie are things like the Express and Ultra excluded or included?)

Personally, I recommend just getting one (pretty much any one) and "easing into it".  I think you'll find the hardware part is extremely easy.  I wouldn't bother getting anyone to "install" it unless you have a home theater where everything is built into the wall and you need some kid to crawl around back there.

What may be a little confusing at first is that streaming is a bit like the Wild West with many many apps and different service providers and different business models. ie: you're not stuck with either the cable company, or two satellite companies - you have many options and more all the time.  So, your streaming environment can be many different things – all using the same underlying hardware.  If you're used to cable, it may take you some time to get comfortable with it and then you'll have much better ideas of what you want to do next.

It's hard to predict Wi-Fi performance in someone else's house and "much further away" is vague.  If the house is wired for ethernet, an Ultra would be an obvious choice.  (One of the models that is not a "stick" and is not a "Sound bar" if that is what you meant by "bar".) I have an Express 4K+ at a far corner of my 2000 square foot house with the router roughly in the middle and up one floor, and Roku's speed test over 5GHz Wi-Fi maxes out at my ISP's speed coming into the house, (which is about 20 times what I need to stream HD) so in my case, I have no need for anything better than that.

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Strega wrote:

I only see two models of "sticks".  (And they look the same except for the included remotes.)...

You're thinking of the 3820 Streaming Stick 4K, the 3821 Streaming Stick 4K+, but you're forgetting about the 3811 Streaming Stick+ Headphone Edition from Best Buy (an exclusive!!1!). It's still in Best Buy's lineup. And $45 right now, cheapest of the bunch.

As far as I am aware, it's simply Roku's recently discontinued 3810 with a different remote and ear buds.

DBDukes

Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Oh yeah, and he did mention "Geek Squad" so maybe he was looking at Best Buy.

In any case, I would also recommend browsing Roku's compare page:

https://www.roku.com/products/compare

Hmm, it's interesting that that page has the LT which I think is a Walmart Exclusive but not the Best Buy Exclusive.

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Strega 

Yeah. It's on the main page, scrolling way down, but not on the compare. I found that out looking for the model number. I suspect it'll be leaving Best Buy soon, what with the $15 off price point. But, that's just a guess. And probably not a good one.

DBDukes

cromanof
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you so much!  So as you suggested, I used the link you provided and saw that the channel I want (Court TV) is shown as a Roku channel and is listed under the category News and Weather.  I also went to the Court TV website and it says on the site that the channel can be streamed via Roku.

So I'm not going to bother you by asking what 4K is.  I just need to know if I can safely buy three of the  Roku Streaming Stick 4K and that they will work on all three TVs.  Remember, my computer is connected to the internet by Ethernet but all three TV's (all flat screens, but older TVs) are running using wi-fi.  The wi-fi router is about 45-50 feet from two of the TVs.  An HDMI port is available on each TV once the DVD players are unplugged.

What do you suggest?  It kind of sounds like the Roku Streaming Stick 4K might be better for longer distances between the wi-fi router and the streaming stick (?).  Thank you so much for all your help!  Cindie.

Cindie R.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@cromanof wrote:

... I just need to know if I can safely buy three of the  Roku Streaming Stick 4K and that they will work on all three TVs. ...

Any of the devices will work. 4K devices are backward compatible. There are several different levels of resolution that are commonly used:

• SD (480)
  • HD/720
  • HD/1080
  • UHD/4K (2160)
  • 8K (4320)

That's more data or image detail in the same area. Clearer picture. Roku makes 4K devices, but they'll work with any of it. A Roku HD (1080) device will play 4K content, but at HD/1080. But it works fine. And a 4K device will play 1080 content just fine. That's true of the source (what the stream wants to send) and the destination (the TV screen). Everything will work. Any question you have about will this (SD/HD/4k, etc) work with that (SD/HD/4K, etc), the answer is yes.

DBDukes

makaiguy

Jump to solution

@cromanof-

If there's only one available open HDMI port, but you want to connect two devices, you can "piggy back" two devices on the same port using an HDMI switch (not an HDMI splitter).  Then use the switch to select which device you want to view.

Hook up diagramHook up diagram

In the case of using a Roku Streaming stick, you may need to use an. HDMI extension cable (has a female HDMI socket at one end and a male HDMI plug at the other) to connect the Roku to the switch in order to place the switch in a convenient location.  Or you can use an HDMI female-to-female connecter with a normal male-to-male HDMI cable.