Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimt3
Reel Rookie

Please don't switch my Wallpaper with your ads

Please don't change my wallpaper, just so you can switch it for an Ad for "Turning Red"...Pretty annoying of you.

10 REPLIES 10
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Please don't switch my Wallpaper with your ads

Try going to Settings/Themes/Seasonal Themes and changing it to OFF.

AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

This is completely and totally normal but it is not Roku. Disney and other companies pay to advertise on Roku. So sometimes when a new movie premiers companies advertise about it to get subscribers. In a few days it will be gone. You also get seasonal themes during Christmas, Halloween, 4th of July and others. If you don't like it then disable it as mentioned. 

0 Kudos
breakfast2

Furthermore, don't force it onto our devices. I can't even remove it from my list of wallpapers, it's just there permanently

AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

Uncheck it. It’s that easy 

0 Kudos
jimt3
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the answer... I was really just venting at Roku, as I shouldn't have to, since I set up my own custom theme, just to have Roku decide to dump it and put ads in place of it.  Especially on a paid service.

jimt3
Reel Rookie

0 Kudos
AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

Roku is not a paid service. Roku is a streaming device. You can uncheck the seasonal wallpaper change. Disney paid Roku to advertise for the release of Turning Red. People see the ad who have children and say “Hey I’m gonna watch that”. Then they sign up for Disney. It’s not the first time I have see exclusive backgrounds/ wallpaper to advertise a new movie. When you go to the movie theater you see a bunch of trailers for soon to come movies. But in all honesty is it anything worth getting aggravated about? Really?

GeoFlux121

Thanks for the solution. I feel that Roku should call these what they are, though. They're ads. They are not seasonal wallpapers. There should be a separate setting for that.

If they want to force an ad, fine. Just make it clear what's going on with the system. I'm not expecting my wallpapers to change unless it's an actual holiday, so I never would have thought an ad would have been linked to a seasonal wallpaper setting. Also, I feel they should just have a banner with whatever ad they want to display rather than automatically changing the entire look of the system. In Windows, that would be like Microsoft embedding ads in Windows Explorer, which is not acceptable. Obnoxious advertising is the quickest way to drive customers like me off.

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@GeoFlux121 

Occasionally with the Seasonal Wallpapers, any ad that may appear is normally linked to a holiday movie or such.

Although Roku generally limits their Ad to that large one on the right on the Home Screen, occasionally a smaller one will appear on the Home Page under the Menu on the left.  This is usually only temporary/limited time.

Regarding Microsoft embedding ads in Windows Explorer - they don't have to.  They know all about you from the Registry settings.  And they are currently testing placing ads in the File Explorer, so get ready.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/15/22979251/microsoft-file-explorer-ads-windows-11-testing

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos