Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Barak003

One app to control all my shows.

Jump to solution

I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this but I'm going to ask it anyway. I would love to have an app that could control all the shows I watch. Like when I find one on Netflix for example, I could add it to the app. The same goes I'd I find one on Prime etc..

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: One app to control all my shows.

Jump to solution

@Barak003 

The other three major platforms (after Roku, the next biggest streaming platforms are Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, and Google/Android TV, probably in that order) each have a version of this, but it does not work with everything. And think for a second: if tech giants Google, Apple, and Amazon can't get the app developers to cooperate where this works for all (or even most), then it's going to be difficult to accomplish.

To accomplish this, data would need to be shared between the apps and the platforms, and that is the root argument that causes platforms to lose apps. YouTube TV is no in the Roku Channel Store for that very issue (sharing of data), and there are threats of others pulling apps from Roku over that issue, and have kept apps off other platforms for that issue.

Yeah, a single place to manage everything would be nice, but we're not there yet. Apple is closest, but still a ways to go. I wouldn't suggest changing platforms over it. The effort and expense won't be worth it. I suspect Roku will roll out such a feature when they get enough cooperation from the app developers/services, and can get enough bugs worked out.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: One app to control all my shows.

Jump to solution

@Barak003 

The other three major platforms (after Roku, the next biggest streaming platforms are Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, and Google/Android TV, probably in that order) each have a version of this, but it does not work with everything. And think for a second: if tech giants Google, Apple, and Amazon can't get the app developers to cooperate where this works for all (or even most), then it's going to be difficult to accomplish.

To accomplish this, data would need to be shared between the apps and the platforms, and that is the root argument that causes platforms to lose apps. YouTube TV is no in the Roku Channel Store for that very issue (sharing of data), and there are threats of others pulling apps from Roku over that issue, and have kept apps off other platforms for that issue.

Yeah, a single place to manage everything would be nice, but we're not there yet. Apple is closest, but still a ways to go. I wouldn't suggest changing platforms over it. The effort and expense won't be worth it. I suspect Roku will roll out such a feature when they get enough cooperation from the app developers/services, and can get enough bugs worked out.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."