Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newest iPhone IOS update not compatible with roku?

I have the newest iPhone iOS update 15.3.1 and now I can no longer AirPlay or connect my phone to my roku. I have AirPlay turned on in my roku settings and both devices are on the same network. I have a roku premiere and a roku express they both show up when I click AirPlay on my phone but I get an error message that they can’t connect. For reference, I tried using AirPlay on a smart tv and was able to connect no problem so I do not believe it is an issue with my phone or Apple 

30 REPLIES 30
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Newest iPhone IOS update not compatible with roku?

@Alylaviolette-

See if this helpful forum post by @StreamerUser gets you going
https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Device-Features-Settings-Updates/Help-setting-up-Apple-Airplay-on...

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
zetm
Channel Surfer

Exact same issue with TCL Roku TV.  Updated ios on iPhone to 15.3.1. 
iPhone restarted.  WIFI turned off and restarted.   Sees the device in Roku App. 

When you try to connect says to turn the device on and try again.  Device is already on. 
checked tv and I am on latest roku version.  TV say software up to date - Jan 19th 5:48 p.m.

Swiped and shut down Roku app several times. Roku App - Turn On Your TV And Try Again. 

Turned TV Off at this point and restarted it.   It sees the TV but thinks it is powered off when it is not. 

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

I have an iPhone 13 Pro running iOS 15.3.1. I stream music to my TCL Roku TV all the time with zero issues using Apple AirPlay. You need to go into your Roku settings are setup Apple AirPlay. This will trigger a code on your phone. Apple AirPlay and mirroring are entirely different. The Roku Remote app for your phone has nothing to do with AirPlay. Run an update on your TV also. Three is no Roku App. There is however a Roku Channel but it has nothing to do with Apple AirPlay

https://support.roku.com/article/360057488733

https://www.businessinsider.com/roku-airplay#:~:text=You%20can%20use%20Apple%20AirPlay,%2C%20Apple%2....

0 Kudos
zetm
Channel Surfer

Sorry what you posted doesn't work.  Again.  I have the latest firmware for the TCL TV.  Just checked it. 

Latest version of ROKU app from APP Store. 

Go to Devices. 

See TV.  Never connects.  Msg: Turn off your TV and Try again.   The Device is listed.  Just will not connect.  Has nothing to do with Apple Air Play.   App should be talking right to ROKU device/

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Exactly what are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to stream music from your phone to your Roku? Or are you trying to use the Roku remote app to control your Roku?  You don’t need the room in order to use Apple AirPlay on your Roku TV. I should know I have 2 of them. Can you elaborate on your situation. Thanks

0 Kudos
zetm
Channel Surfer

iPhone 15.3.1 IOS ROKU APP
TCL Roku TV -
ROKU app that has been working for nearly 3 years stopped working on the 15.3.1 IOS Update.   TV is listed in devices but will not connect.  Msg you get when you try to connect is TURN OFF TV AND TRY AGAIN. 

Just use the app to change channels, control TV streams. 

Before I even posted here on this problem, I updated firmware on TV.
I've turned the TV off dozens of times. 

That's it.  I don't know how to make this any simpler. 

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

It works perfectly fine on both my TCL Roku TVs. I have an iPhone 13 Pro running iOS 15.3.1. I am using the official Roku remote app for my iPhone  I can select either one of my TCL Roku TVs and Control them from my phone perfectly fine. There was no firmware update. There was an update to the Roku operating system. But that does not affect anything. The problem is something on your end. 

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

07D35EA0-4DB4-4E19-867A-CD60805DA6CC.jpeg

B529CA5F-7590-4E67-9339-3D73290852E3.jpeg

5C6D8462-9A76-4816-8FEA-41DF4E298614.png

C387C8D8-E617-4C5D-A955-8C1D74B97F64.jpeg

As you can see it works completely fine. My Roku OS is up to date. Just checked actually. This post is about Apple airplay in the first place

0 Kudos
zetm
Channel Surfer

Glad it's working for you.  As the British say - SOD OFF. 

0 Kudos