Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shaggyman
Channel Surfer

New units have only HDMI.

I keep getting offers to upgrade from my Roku 2, but all of the new Roku devices offer only HDMI connection.  My old Protron TV gives a great picture via HDMI, but NO sound, no matter what configuration I use.  AV Out port allows sound through my TV, and works pretty well.
Are there any known ways to work around the problem?
I really don't want to replace my TV - it works great except for the HDMI sound issue.
If the newer units HAD an AV Out port, I'd get one...

9 REPLIES 9
CelticsFan
Roku Guru

Re: New units have only HDMI.

You can buy an HDMI to AV converter. Roku TVs are cheap so look into one of those. You could also look at a Roku Express+

https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Express-Streaming-Player-Composite/dp/B01M2AJZ5P

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@shaggyman, that model linked to above is several years old and people on Amazon/ebay are price gouging.  I got a couple for $10 each when they stopped producing them.  You'd be better off replacing the TV than paying $100+ for one of those.  If you really want to keep the TV look in to an HDMI-to-RCA converter as was suggested.  Make sure it goes from HDMI to RCA.  Some go the other way and some go both ways.  Some are simple cables which will not work.  It has to be a little box and read the reviews.  These things are hit and miss.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hdmi+to+rca+converter&sprefix=hdmi+to+rca

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
shaggyman
Channel Surfer

I get frequent offers from Roku to upgrade for only $20, but the units won't really work better than my ancient Roku 2 3100X, and I don't see the upside at all.  The sound issue is something in my TV that doesn't like the format from Roku, and won't allow pass through sound over HDMI.

0 Kudos
CelticsFan
Roku Guru

@shaggyman  You are getting those offers cause your Roku is very old. You would gain a lot if you have a newer tv. But you need a new tv and updated Roku. So it’s best to pick yourself up a new Roku TV. You can get a 32” TCL Roku TV for $160

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

You could probably buy a Roku Express+ 3910 (2017/2018 model) from Walmart for cheap.  I’ve owned that one for two years since early 2020.

Here you go: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Roku-Express-HD-1080p-Streaming-Media-Player-3910RW/369278616

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

That is a useless link, you can't add to your cart, and it isn't available anywhere locally for ANYONE. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

@Tivoburkee wrote:

That is a useless link, you can't add to your cart, and it isn't available anywhere locally for ANYONE. 

If that link is useless, then I’m kind of confused at this point.  That model was available at the time I bought it, and I guess it’s entirely out of stock now? 
~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
renojim

That model was discontinued years ago.  I'd be surprised if there's a store anywhere that has one.

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

@renojim wrote:

That model was discontinued years ago.  I'd be surprised if there's a store anywhere that has one.

As far as I know, you can probably find it on eBay but they only sell a few units of it and some are ridiculously expensive.

The packaging on my unit had a 2018 copyright date when I got it, so I’m guessing that was one of the last units sold.  Then later on, they came out with the Premiere and Premiere+, which are HDMI only.  Later in September 2019, they came out with a newer Express+ model, called the 3931.  The 3931 also only outputs HDMI, and only the 3710 and 3910 models use analog A/V outputs.
~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos