Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Neeley90487
Channel Surfer

New purchase 4K+ express not working after initial software update

Purchased an Express 4K+ last week thru the ROKU website.  During initial setup after logging on to Wi-Fi and performing a software update, the Express has never recovered. Power light is on, but NO video comes out.  My older roku device works fine using the same HDMI port.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: New purchase 4K+ express not working after initial software update

Hi @Neeley90487

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

Could you reply here with a photo of the issue occurring? Are you only getting a black screen on your TV? How about trying a different HDMI cable? Please let us know. We'd like to know more about how we can help.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Neeley90487
Channel Surfer

I get nothing.  express has a "puprle" power light on?  all TVs I try it on never register that it is connnected on any HDMI input with any cable.  It worked on initial power up and never again since software update.

Allen

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Thanks for the response @Neeley90487,

Could you tell us how your Roku Express 4k+ is powered? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku securely and firmly into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Please keep us posted.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Neeley90487
Channel Surfer

plugged into a wall outlet on first power up, during the initial SW update, and every time since then.  I get no indication that the Express is feeding video to the TV and have tried multiple HDMI cords.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Thanks for the update! @Neeley90487,

Have you made sure you selected the correct source input on your TV? If so and still experience the issue, kindly provide the serial number of your Roku device. Its serial number is printed on the bottom or back of the product. I'll be able to pass it along to our Support team who can assist you further.

We'll keep an eye on your reply. 

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Neeley90487
Channel Surfer

I have tried multiple HDMI inputs.  I get no screen whatsoever, 

0 Kudos
Neeley90487
Channel Surfer

Serial number off the box is S07P21CN6K98.  It powered up and I did stuff on the screen and then installed a software/firmware update on it and the Roku screens locked up after update.  When I turned it off and back on the TV no longer would recognize a signal from the Roku device.  I have tried it on three different TVs and multiple HDMI cables

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@Neeley90487

Thanks for the information.

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your email since they'll be reaching out to you from there. 

Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Nimfa 

0 Kudos