Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emikoala
Channel Surfer

Re: My captioning keeps turning OFF

Jump to solution

As I said in both of my posts, I put the setting to "On Replay." Initially the bug was switching to Off, and now it's switching to Always On. 

I will check the option from the Settings menu next time I'm using the TV, but that's not a real solution to the option from the * menu not working. That's a workaround. Are you doing any research into what's causing the problem with the ample information I have already provided about a feature that is definitely not working as intended?

emikoala
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R I've now confirmed that this behavior continues even when I've confirmed that the captions are set to "On Replay" when accessing the settings menu from the Home screen, and not just while watching a program

My captions are still reverting to "Always On" every single day, yet this problem is marked as "Solved"?? What is the solution, please? Because my TV is still malfunctioning.

led1

Jump to solution

Yes.  No matter how many times captions are turned on, they click off.  Considering throwing away Roku device as junk 

Greagor
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes.  HBO max is now always an issue.  I have to leave what I’m watching, turn captioning off/on in HBO, then off/on/off/on & even between languages (Uber annoying!) via Roku… then… maybe… maybe… I can get English captions.  It all started with Netflix captions suddenly being in Spanish.  Then over the next week few weeks HBO max started being an issue on occasion.  Kind of a “hmmm that’s odd”… now it’s every dang time & insanely vexing.  It’s clearly a software issue ROKU has done nothing to fix.  I have ROKU ULTRA incidentally.  It’s very frustrating.  Sometimes captioning “always on” is off in Roku when turn it on too.  Never was an issue before.  Then, it was every now & then.  Now, it’s a constant struggle, that is increasingly time consuming.  Not exactly relaxing or convenient.  Please Roku, do something!  

JustDucky2

Jump to solution

Mine is turning off every other day or so with no warning. I go to watch something in Disney+ and the captions are off again. Then I have to go to my settings and then reopen the app and then reopen whatever it is I am trying to watch. I noticed that this started happening around the time these settings stopped being available in the apps themselves.

Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@JustDucky2  Similar issues happened with Disney+.  It is probably up to The Walt Disney Company, which develops the service, to fix the issue.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Please be aware that closed captioning within channels are controlled by the channel directly. For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
emikoala
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

That may be the case with people using Roku HDMI devices, but I'm using a Roku Smart TV. The captions are a TV setting. I cannot even access channel-specific settings when using Roku TV - the "options" button calls up the same TV settings menu that I get from the Home screen, not the channel's settings UI that I'm familiar with from using these apps with a Roku Stick and a dumb TV.

Further, this problem is persisting across HBO Max, Disney+, Paramount+, and Hulu. It seems unlikely that all four of those apps suddenly developed identical bugs in their code.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@emikoala

Thanks for the post.

Have you already checked each of those channel's closed captioning Settings, not the Settings accessible during channel playback? Can you provide screenshots of how you are the accessing closed captioning settings?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
loothor

Jump to solution

I am also having an issue with my Roku streaming stick in which the Captioning mode in Settings -> Accessibility mysteriously reverts from "On Always" to "Off".  This just started fairly recently (not sure exactly when, but it definitely wasn't a problem in the past).  It happens very often, and I haven't been able to pin down any particular sequence of events that causes it, but it happens quite often when I start a streaming service.  I can go into Settings->Accessibility and turn it back on and it will work, but it will revert again within the next few times I start a streaming service.

I'd say it's pretty obvious from the number of people reporting this issue here that you have an actual bug in your software, and it's quite annoying.