Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost speed option on one device but not the other. Not sure what exact model they are.

I have two rokus. Neither are sticks. Both used to have speed playback options.  But now only one has it. I thought it was Youtube. But it must be Roku, since I still have it on the newest model.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Re: Lost speed option on one device but not the other. Not sure what exact model they are.

The YouTube channel is developed by Google. Therefore it will be on Google to update their channel. This has been discussed in other posts. But it’s not a Roku issue cause they don’t develop it

0 Kudos
Mibi
Reel Rookie

Re: Lost speed option on one device but not the other. Not sure what exact model they are.

> blame Google

You know, I'm sick and tired of this reply.  Because it's not true. Here's how this works:

Roku determines which devices do and do not have playback speed control.

The stream decoder is part of the core Roku functionality and not the app. Apps are, essentially, skins over this functionality.

Roku decides which devices support playback speed selection based on considerations primarily around CPU capability and CPU temperature dissipation characteristics. The apps you interact with simply look for the availability of the option via an API call. If it is there, the app presents the option to the user.  If it is not, it does not.  This is why when your Roku device suddenly stopped doing playback speed selection in the past year or two, it is lost across all apps.

So, in fact, Roku turned this off. They did so probably because your model of device got too hot across the fleet. If you could hypothetically go back to a prior release of the Roku firmware, it would start working again regardless of the version of your YouTube or other app.

Blame Roku because Roku is to blame.

What I would like to see is a list of models for which this capability is available. Because I would be entirely willing to throw down an extra $30 for the ability to conserve half my life by consuming the **bleep** media to which I am addicted at 2x.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Mibi, point me to any Roku API documentation that includes playback speed options past or current.  I've never seen it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Mibi
Reel Rookie

I'm sorry you don't understand how your device works. Perhaps if you did, you'd be a better "community streaming expert.

0 Kudos