Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spirit_of_76
Reel Rookie

Latest update bricks multiple Roku devices

I just spent almost 2 hrs in a chat session with Roku support trying to figure out why my Roku 3 suddenly stopped responding to the remote control after receiving the latest firmware update.  I was assured it was an isolated issue (i.e., hadn't been reported by anyone else).  Double checked the batteries, re-paired the remote; no resolution.  Only way to get around the issue was to hard boot the device and then the remote functions as it should for a period of time.  When a movie ends or the screen saver kicks in or anything other than just plain streaming; the functionality ceases.  Again was told this was limited to my device. WRONG!!!  I swapped out the Roku 3 puck for a fairly recent HDMI stick and it worked fine RIGHT UPTO IT RECEIVING AN UPDATE!!  Watched the update being applied to the stick.  Shortly after the update had finished the stick is now exhibiting the exact same remote control issue! So, two totally different Roku devices, two totally different HDMI ports; both exhibiting the same problem.  Once the streaming starts (Netflix or Amazon Prime) the movie(s) continue unhindered; but the remote is as useless as a rock until you physically power off the devices.  

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Cindysite83
Reel Rookie

Re: Latest update bricks multiple Roku devices

My 3 Roku streaming devices are all suddenly freaking out!  It’s 12/11/2022!  Remotes won’t  control them and I can’t even get to the “settings” to do a factory reset!!!! HELP SOMEONE!!!!

0 Kudos
Spirit_of_76
Reel Rookie

@Cindysite83, I'm pretty sure the issue is the result of the October update.  It trashed two separate Roku devices that had been fully functional.  The only workaround I have found besides doing the power-reset on the actual device, is to download and install the Roku app on my Android phone (I think there is one for iPhones as well).  Once installed, there is a 'remote' option that simulates the functionality of an actual remote.  For whatever reasons, this works when the actual remote ceases to work.  Yeah, pretty pissed off because I know we are not the only ones suffering this issue and Roku tech support was ultimately useless. 

0 Kudos
Cindysite83
Reel Rookie

Are Firesticks as good as Rokus?  I may check into those if customer service does not help me!

0 Kudos