Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mlapointe
Reel Rookie

Re: It's 2022 and still no IPv6

They can easily activate ipv6 and it won’t have a major impact whatsoever, not even a minor impact . If this was 30 years ago, your comment would have a tiny bit of merit.

remaker
Roku Guru

Unfortunately, that;'s not totally true. Since you are dealing with residences that may have wildly misconfigured routers, it's totally possible that IPv6 could cause a problem. Often, Happy Eyeballs will work around that, but not always. IPv6 blackholing is still a thing, and even if it is rare, Roku would just as soon not deal with it.

I still think they should turn on IPv6 and add an advanced tab to disable it if needed.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: It's 2023 (was 2022) and still no IPv6

Roku OS 12.0 is beginning to roll out, and IPv6 support is included in it. They do call it "limited" support in some of the documentation, and I have no idea what that means. But the fact that 12.0 is now public means I can now mention this. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
remaker
Roku Guru

Re: It's 2023 (was 2022) and still no IPv6

Wow! Have you done any packet tracing to see what it is doing? I didn't see any IPv6 information in the general UI.

I'll have to have a look to see what traffic is coming out of my Ultra.

OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

I updated my Sharp, Westinghouse and Roku smart sound bar earlier today. Only the Westinghouse is showing IP version 6 on the WAN.

remaker
Roku Guru

Tom817
Binge Watcher

@Mlapointe wrote:

. If this was 30 years ago, your comment would have a tiny bit of merit.

@Mlapointe Perhaps you'd be so kind as to clarify who and which comment that reply was directed to.  The mass weight of this thread has been to encourage Roku to deploy IPv6, which has apparently arrived in some form in Roku OS 12.

0 Kudos