Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
remaker
Roku Guru

Re: It's 2023 (was 2022) and still no IPv6

@andyross Wow. I bet that @DingleBob3899 might be able to scare up some beta test users.

Heck, I'll beta test it. @RokuDanny-R , if there are engineers looking for victims test subjects, I bet we have a few folks on this thread that will happily step up. I can also scare up a number of folks inside a Big networking Company as well as from across the industry, if you don't already have contacts.

andyross
Roku Guru

I did read on another forum that OS12 is coming out in a month or two. Maybe it could be enabled then. 

0 Kudos
Tom817
Binge Watcher

@remaker wrote:

@Tom817 "v4/v6" transition technology in Cloudflare is mostly in the form of CDN caching, anf it's not free at commercial scale.

I saw a couple of community questions about combined NAT64/DNS64 for native IPv6 environments from 2018-19 but not any products.  I did find NAT64.net's Public NAT64 "For the ISP" where the service owner permits use of his infrastructure.

@remaker wrote:

@DingleBob3899 mentioned he is using CGNAT, but not which flavor. It sounds like they are handing out RFC1918 (or better, RFC6264) IPv4 addresses to customers and then using a Big Fat Box (or set of Big Fat Boxes) to map to limited global IPv6, the way you see with U-Vers and AT&T mobility. 

@DingleBob3899 didn't explicitly say CGNAT, but rather "very expensive proxy/translation server".  RFC 6264 or RFC 6598, 100.64.0.0/10?

Isn't this a fine example of the old saw, "The wonderful thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from"?

I wonder if you or Dinglebob have any contacts at T-Mobile.  TMUS is headquartered in Pacific Northwest isn't it?  They operate a native v6 core.  Sure, they've probably got more control over the endpoint in terms of the baseband radio and have enough cash for servers.  Maybe there is a containerized. edge compute setup, now that 5G is live that could forklift in?

0 Kudos
Tom817
Binge Watcher

IPv6 beta tester volunteer #2, here.

billdjango
Reel Rookie

We’ve had really good experience using cgnat dual stacked with ipv6,  most of the major players partake in v6 so traffic has been manageable over the cgnat v4.   Not doing any 6 to 4 or 4 to 6 translations.  

Roku hopefully will support it at some point sooner rather than later as I’m sure most of their app partners already do.  

ascarter
Reel Rookie

I believe the satellite services pull down things like the guide data from a normal internet connection. Back when satellite came out, even those slow speeds were enough for that.

0 Kudos
adaptive

Re: It's 2022 and still no IPv6

The recent Netflix password-sharing cracking may create some Roku victims.

The other day, I reviewed the devices logging into my account, all inside my house. However, there was one caveat: two Apple TVs in IPv6 and one Roku in IPV4, with different ASNs, showing as two separate networks 900 km apart. I didn’t receive any Netflix notice so far.

Tags (3)
lohphat
Streaming Star

Because a core technology of IPv6 is multicast streaming to reduce redundant streams and reduce congestion.

IPv4 multicast only works within an autonomous system but IPv6 can multicast over the internet. Imagine the benefit of watching a popular live stream and only needing one stream shared with all IPv6 compliant clients instead of one unicast stream PER VIEWER.

IPv6 adoption is a march toward sanity and scalability.

remaker
Roku Guru

@wheresmyIPv6 Satellite is inherently downstream only, unless you get the expensive and slow Internet service that allows you to transmit to the satellite. That means you get video, program guides, and software updates, but anything interactive is done through a network connection. In Ye Olde Days, this was a dialup line.

There's also a limit to how many stations you can get from the satellite, so modern satellite receivers also incorporate Internet streaming services.

If you have satellite TV but no Internet or telephone, some services will be unavailable to you.

Despite the historical dependence of DishNetwork and DirecTV on satellite signals, you can subscribe to these services without a satellite dish using "DishAnywhere" and "DirecTV Stream."

0 Kudos
Mlapointe
Reel Rookie

Ipv6 is better overall, better routing and performance than ipv4.

At the same time, there are new ISPs that are IPv6 only. They may still have access to the IPv4 internet but don’t have any actual public IP address.

And personally I am getting quite annoyed with ipv4 because I have to diligently manage my IP space, where as with IPv6 I don’t give a **bleep**.

what does this mean for a typical home user? Ipv4 has an overall negative impact on performance. 

if you have IPv6, use it!