Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Is there a way to manually install the OS update?

I'm getting impatient for my TV receiving the OS 11 update, as I'm hoping it will correct some of the maddening issues I've been experiencing. All I seem able to find is how to update it, if a person has never activated their TV online, and wonder why it wouldn't be the same for those already using Roku. It would be nice to just download it, then install either via my computer, or a USB stick.

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Re: Is there a way to manually install the OS update?

It will take months before all the millions of Roku’s across the world have been updated to Roku OS 11. Till then sit back and relax. You can always manually check for updates 3x a day or more. You can try this if you please. 

https://support.roku.com/article/212361468

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Thanks, but as I mentioned, that article only pertains to those who've yet to activate and connect to the internet, although I don't know why it make much difference. As for millions of users, that's true for those who own computers & phones, as well, and while I know phone OS updates can take a while, depending on the brand &/or vendor, computer & browser updates are available as downloads to any who want them. Not sure why, if it is possible to download the update for new users, why it wouldn't be for everyone else... I'm impatient, because it's frustrating dealing with all the bugs & glitches every time I watch.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@StevenCee  What bugs and Glitches are you speaking about? Roku 11 may not address whatever bug your speaking about. Also keep in mind Roku does not make TVs. TCL, ONN and Hisense make Roku TV’s, If you explain your situation maybe we could help

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

What bugs & glitches? The one so many of these posts have been complaining about. The black info screen popping up for no reason, losing the picture while the audio still works, scrolling through hundreds of channels, only to have it pop back to the starting point, etc. Some have said that after updating some of these issues weren't happening any longer.

I mean, that there is no numbers on the remote, requiring manual scrolling is antiquated & a pain already, but to sit and have to scroll through hundreds of channels, only to have to start all over as it popped back to square one, is incredibly frustrating. As is having the channel info screen just popping on, intermittently, especially when watching something with subtitles!

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Are you referring to over the air channels? Roku’s 11 won’t magically change how you’re over the air channels work. I use YouTube TV. I have to scroll all the way down through networks and then scroll all the way back up. 90 of them to be exact. But it is what it is because there are no channel numbers and no way to input channel numbers. A New Roku’s operating system won’t change that behavior. Fire devices and Google devices also have no channel numbers to input

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

No, I'm referring to ALL the channels, whether over the air, or Roku's streaming channels. I don't have hundreds of over the air channels, nor do I find foreign shows over the air, these bugs are happening with both, but especially with the Roku channels.... And what do you mean there are no channel numbers? They go up to about 1200 on my screen, and only about the first 70 are over the air.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@StevenCee  What are you referring to? The Roku Channel free live TV? Roku doesn’t use apps. They call them channels such a Netflix is a channel. But if you are referring to the Live TV within the Roku channel that’s different. Either way a Roku OS update won’t change that. Remember it’s free by the way. You can customize how the channels work with inside the Roku channel. Read here 

https://youtu.be/_mfgWH0t0tQ

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@StevenCee 

The issue with the Roku Channel Live TV Guide when in OTA mode is being investigated by Roku. (this is that extra overlay banner and the "snapping back" while scrolling.)  Both these bugs seem to have been introduced when Roku attempted to fix the OTA signal meter not working correctly.

You can certainly seperate the OTA channel and Streaming channels (Roku Channel) if so desired. (Settings/TV Inputs/LiveTV/Manage Channels/Hide all Streaming Channels).

Starting with the latest 10.5 build update, Roku actually did "magically" change the way you can navigate the Channel Guide while in Roku Channel Live TV Guide.  If you have a Voice Remote, you can now press the Microphone button and say the name of the Channel or Channel Number.  (ie. "Newsmax" or "Channel 190").  This will take you directly to the desired channel.

You can also use Roku mobile app keyboard to type in the numerical channels as well.

----

OS11 will hopefully fix some of these known bugs you described.  Just unsure yet whether it will be with the initial release (unlikely), or a future build release within OS11.  Since Roku still investigating the OTA issue, I do not think it will be included with the initial release.

Here is a Roku Channel Live TV guide that may help you know which channels are where if having issues with the guide. (https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Roku-Channel-Live-TV-Guide-Listing-Reference-...)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

StevenCee
Roku Guru

Thank you for so detailed a response.  I've used streaming services (Amazon Prime/Netflix), but never an entire system, like Roku, so it's taken me a minute to understand exactly how it functions. I thought I had read users in the forum commenting that using the voice control, couldn't bring up specific channels, so I've not tried doing it that way, but will now. Oh, and knowing I can use the app on my phone to change the channels can help. But only if I already know what channel I want to view, if I want to see the channel guide, so I know what's on, still puts me in the same boat, as I didn't notice there being a channel guide on the app.

As for separating the OTA & streaming channels, I often flip back & forth between an OTA show & a streaming one (I don't sit through commercials), so I don't know if that would work very well, being confined to only streaming or OTA channels.  And the issues of the overlay banner & the "snapping back" doesn't only happen with OTA channels, but all channels. In fact, the popping up of the information banner happens far more often in the streamed than the OTA channels. 

And the issue of losing the video, while still hearing the audio only happens with streaming stations, requiring me to flip back & forth from the previous channel, two or three times, before the video again appears, is one I hope the new OS has addressed. 

0 Kudos