Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ron92646
Binge Watcher

Is there a way to control my elderly Mom's Roku (different house/wifi)

My elderly Mom's starting to lose her memory and sometimes she can't remember how to change apps.  She has an ONN Roku TV, is there anyway I could control her roku TV from my home or phone?  She lives by herself and not on my wifi.  I checked to see if the roku android app might work, but it only recognizes the roku devices on my home wifi network.  I do have myself logged in on her roku TV. Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Is there a way to control my elderly Mom's Roku (different house/wifi)

Roku can definitely be a challenge for older users.  Short of using the newer Roku voice remotes that contain 2 programmable shortcut (Channel/app) buttons, kind of limited how to make it easier.

The voice remote will at least help with some of the navigation.  Shortcut buttons beneficial to those that have a couple favorite channels they view regularly.

Only other method may be to create an illustrated guide/cheat sheet of what buttons to press to get to her programs.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Is there a way to control my elderly Mom's Roku (different house/wifi)

This question has come up before, but I don't remember if the OP came up with a solution or not.  One idea would be to place an Internet connected IR blaster at her home.  I don't have any experience with any, but I believe they do exist.  You of course would be sending commands in the blind since there's no feedback.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.