Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data10
Channel Surfer

Is there a Roku with both IF and 5G?

In addition to Roku's standard HD streaming and other standard features across all devices, there are 2 features that are especially important to me:

1.  I want an support for IF, so I can use it with my URC remote.  I want to use a single programmable and customizable remote for all of my home theater devices rather than have to switch back and forth from the Roku remote to other remotes for volume, projector, lighting, etc.   I am currently using Roku Premiers, largely for this feature.

2.   I want to have the choice between either 2.4G or 5G.  My current Roku Premiers only support 2.4G, which can be limiting since my Internet provider speed is many times faster at 5G than 2.4G.  

I know that there are some Roku products that meet requirement #1 and some than meet requirement #2.   Are there any that meet both requirements?  Or alternative solutions that would meet my goals?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Is there a Roku with both IF and 5G?

That's IR, it stands for Infra-Red, any Roku except Roku sticks can accept IR. Even though they come with wifi remotes. Even the Roku Streambar and Streambar Pro speakers. 

All current models of Roku can accept 5g, so don't go used after older 2.4 only models. Stay with what's new:

Roku Players | Roku

So, of the above list only the 3820 Streaming Stick 4k and 3821 Stick 4k+ don't respond to IR commands, the rest do. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Data10
Channel Surfer

How do you point an IR remote at a Roku that is connected to the back of the TV, such as Roku streaming stick?   Would a non-dual band product such as the Roku Express (not 4k) support 5G?

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

The stick models do NOT support IR. You must use one of the regular 'box' models.

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

The Roku site doesn't give model numbers. You can look through this list of all Roku models on Wikipedia to see what type of WiFi and remote it supports.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Roku_streaming_players

0 Kudos