Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the memory on roku express from 2017 different from new express 2021

I have an old roku model 3900x. I got it back in 2017. I'm have a multitude of issues including no space for new channel, says I'm at max channels even though I didn't add or change anything, freezes, says weak signal (but no other devices have an issue and moments earlier it was fine) the box and hdmi sometimes get really warm, kicks me out of a channel I am watching. I checked internet and speed is fine etc. I usually have to unplug the roku, wait and plug back in before it works again. The issues have been happening more frequently as the years go by.. at first I had no issues the gradually since 2019 these issues have been cropping up.. ESPECIALLY the freezing.. happening more often within a month now.. Very frustrating. So bottom line wondering if a new model would be worth buying or if it will even matter? Is this a memory issue, or just a Roku issue.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

Re: Is the memory on roku express from 2017 different from new express 2021

Like anything nothing is meant to last. A Roku device lifespan is usually 3 to 5 years. I don’t know how many channels you have installed but I have 30 and no issues across any of my Roku devices. You can try doing a factory reset on your Roku. See if that helps. But you would definitely benefit from upgrading to a newer device. Upgrade to a Roku Express 4K or a Stick 4K. Your 3900 Express is also the base model which means it only works on the 2.4 wireless. Newer models (except base model) benefit from dual band WiFi 

0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

The wikipedia article on Roku has a detailed summary on device capabilities like memory.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Wikipedia page referred to above:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos