Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If your screen is stuck in recovery

If you are stuck in the purple recovery screen, this worked for me. I got this from an earlier post by a dude named Cliff. I pushed the reset button in and held it. The TV will turn off and reboot and come back onto the purple recovery screen. I held it through this whole process. When it was in the recovery screen again, I let go. Unplugged the TV. Then pressed and held the rest button and plugged the TV in. I held reset until I saw the light at the front of the TV flash the first time(it flashes white) then let go. The TV then proceeded to come up in the main menu screen. I had all my channels and everything! I have read that some people said after a while it went back to the recovery screen. Hoping that doesn't happen but happy the TV is back in action. Hope this helps anyone.

6 REPLIES 6
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: If your screen is stuck in recovery

@DannyBoy1368 

Thanks for taking the time to post the procedure that worked for you.  Much appreciated. 👍

---

[Edited to add].. Your reference to "Cliff" is Cliff Wilkes Youtube video "How to get Roku TV out of Recovery Mode" is located at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb0WsncH4K4.  He did a revised one with an alternate method at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1InbuOHZDI after he cleaned up the room and found a working remote.

I remember watching the original once and laughing as he kept tripping over everything and he was laughing because he "crushed" the remote in an "unrelated incident."

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

SomeGuy24
Channel Surfer

Sadly when I push my reset button, nothing happens…there isn’t even a click. It seems to be an empty hole. 

I have unplugged the Roku device and plugged it back in. Remains stuck on that purple screen. By the way, I have a Roku device, not a Roku tv.  Please help!

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@SomeGuy24 

Press and hold that Reset button for 30+ seconds for a Roku device.  No recovery screen for Roku devices.  Make sure you are plugged into wall power and the device is receiving power prior to attempting this Factory Reset.

0 Kudos
SomeGuy24
Channel Surfer

Thank you. Sadly, I inserted a paper clip into the reset hole, but there is nothing to depress. It seems to be an empty hole.  Might there be another option I can explore?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@SomeGuy24 

May need a bigger paper clip.  Has to be a button in there if that hole says "Reset".

Otherwise, only other way to Factory Reset a device is to go to Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Factory Reset.

---

What is the model number of your Roku device?  If the device is out of warranty (more than 12 months), you can always open the device (most just snap apart) and press the Reset button that is sitting on the board.  This is the button that you are attempting to press with the paper clip.

If you are stuck on a Purple Screen, you may just be experiencing a HDCP issue.  Try restarting the Roku device and then unplugging and reseating the HDMI cable.

0 Kudos
SomeGuy24
Channel Surfer

Thank you. Different paper clip did the trick. Now setting everything up again. Thanks again.