Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jensa

I cant activate my ESPN code

Jump to solution

I can't activate my activation code for ESPN.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: i cant activate my espn code

Jump to solution

@Jensa 

Thanks for the note.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more. 

If the issue remains unresolved, I'd recommend reaching out to ESPN directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on the ESPN channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.  

You can reach them here: https://support.espn.com/hc/en-us

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Jensa 

Thanks for the note.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more. 

If the issue remains unresolved, I'd recommend reaching out to ESPN directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on the ESPN channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.  

You can reach them here: https://support.espn.com/hc/en-us

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jc4912

Jump to solution

This description does not work. If I go to http://espn.com/activate and enter the code and click continue it goes to the next screen and says choose a provider. There is no Roku option. If I go to ESPN+ account I can login but it does the same thing when I pick something to watch. It wants me to choose a provider. My Roku device is never linked to my espn+ subscription. Please advise...thanks

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hello @jc4912

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing.

Please be advised that ESPN+ in Roku requires a TV provider like AT&T, Xfinity, etc. For more information about that channel's functionality, you'll want to contact the channel provider's support directly to inquire further. As previously mentioned above, many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach them here: Contact ESPN.com

We appreciate your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
jc4912

Jump to solution

YES GREAT! thank you for letting me know after I paid $106. RIPPOFF!!!!!

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Let me say right off that I don't (yet) have a subscription to ESPN Plus, but I've been looking into it, and if my understanding is correct, @RokuKariza-D  didn't get it quite right.

There is no separate ESPN Plus channel app.  Regular ESPN content as available on cable/satellite/etc. outlets and ESPN Plus content are both viewed through the same ESPN service (website, streaming apps).  ESPN+ content is marked with a small ESPN+ ribbon in the upper left corner.

Regular ESPN (non-ESPN+) content - There may be some occasional free Regular ESPN (non-ESPN+) content, but to view most regular ESPN content you must authenticate with a paid account on a tv provider that carries ESPN.  This is how ESPN gets paid for their regular non-ESPN+ content --  they get part of the monthly subscription fee paid to the tv provider.  This is a requirement set by ESPN, not Roku, and you'd find the same situation on any other platform other than Roku, including viewing on the web. 

ESPN Plus content - To view ESPN Plus content on the ESPN service requires a separate paid ESPN Plus subscription, either by itself, part of a bundle with Disney, or though Roku or some other third party.  You must link your ESPN Plus account to your ESPN account.  If you don't already have a basic ESPN account you can create one WITHOUT HAVING A TV PROVIDER account, you just won't be able to view regular non-ESPN+ content with it.  This ESPN HELP ARTICLE explains the process.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
jc4912

Jump to solution

I can already access ESPN.com with my ESPN+ credentials I signed up with. Interesting if I go to manage my ESPN+ subscription there it shows a blank grey page. When I subscribed it setup an ESPN profile.

I have tried signing in and out of the ESPN app on Roku as well restarting the Roku device. In all cases listed I eventually have to go to espn.com/activate, put in the code and select a provider. 

In the end I'm out $106. Adding a provider would double or triple+ the total price. 

There should be BIG WARNING from Roku to inform users when signing up for ESPN+ that this requires an additional SUBSCRIPTION TO A PROVIDER! It's much more than just $99/year.

Is there any way to get a refund?

Can I completely remove the ESPN+ subscription from Roku so to make sure the auto renewal option isn't available? Otherwise, I have to make sure the auto renewal flag is turned off next September just before renewal. It is currently set it to OFF.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @jc4912,

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community! 

For account & billing concerns, it may be more effective to get help from our Billing team. You can contact them here then choose 'Account, payments & subscription'. They are the best ones to help you out with that matter.

Thank you for your understanding and stay safe!

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Puremutt

Jump to solution

I can't activate my ESPN code, either, only my issue is that I insert the activation code,  then it takes me to the "Chose Provider" page.  On that page, it only gives me two options, neither of which work.

Option 1: click on "Get a TV Provider", which opens a bogus blank page that never provides anything at all...just blank. The URL is ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/track/N6344.2489.ESPN.GO.COM....etc. This is obviously a bad link.

Option 2: click in the "Search All Providers" search box and search for my cable provider, which does absolutely nothing...provides no options, no cable TV providers,  etc.

Option 3: get furious and end up here trying to get help on something that has always worked until this week...and yes, I have a valid catv provider. This is not my first rodeo. ESPN is working fine on my Samsung TV, and I'm convinced that it would on the Roku if I could log in to my provider. Pretty aggravating with football season here.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hey @Puremutt

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing.

Please be advised that channel logins or authentication are handled directly by the channel developer. We suggest reaching out to ESPN's customer support to report the issue and get help. They can resolve the error you are having with channel activation.

Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos