Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fundyfog

I am going away for several months, is there any harm in having my ROKU idle that long?

I am going away for several months, is there any harm in having my ROKU idle that long?
It is not like I am going upriver; I am heading North for the summer and am undecided to take my Roku or not.

Thank you

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Re: I am going away for several months, is there any harm in having my ROKU idle that long?

A Roku uses very low power. It can only get updates if it’s plugged in. All Electronic devices should be plugged into a surge protector. But if you are going to be away for months there is no harm that can be caused by leaving it plugged in. If you were home it would be plugged in for those months anyways. Most people who aren’t home for months usually unplug things such as TV, modems, routers, microwaves and more. So if your worried just unplug it 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: I am going away for several months, is there any harm in having my ROKU idle that long?

@fundyfog 

If you leave it behind for a period of time, unplug it from everything. That way, if there is a close lightning strike, you wouldn't get a spike along the power cable or HDMI connector.

But, apart from that, it should be okay. Probably.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

Take batteries out of remotes (most modern alkaline batteries are cheaply made and can leak, even name brand ones leak more often than they used to, assuming not counterfeit).

No harm in unplugging, will save a little power, will self update within 24 hours of plugging back in on your return, and less risk of surge damage.

NB pre-charged NiMH batteries leak less, and have the bonus of rechargeablity. But don't put out quite as high a voltage, for quite as long.  Work fine in most remotes, though.

Not a Roku employee