Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GJ2022
Reel Rookie

Re: How to save preferred (default) Guest Mode settings

Jump to solution

I have the same situation….would like the Spectrum app to remain using Guest Mode. Did you get any answer to your question? Thanks.

Apollo11
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This issue remains unresolved, although I suspect it would be quite simple for Roku to fix.  It seems a lot of users would find it really helpful to be able to customise the list of default apps in Guest Mode, so I can only hope that someone from Roku sees this thread and puts it to their technical team for consideration in the next update.  The concept of the Guest Mode is a great one, but poorly implemented by the restriction of a set of seemingly arbitrary default apps.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Suggest a Feature | Roku Community | Roku

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
JackVette
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@renojim ???

Accept what as a solution?

I know it's not April 1st.....

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@JackVette only the original poster can mark a response as an accepted answer. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Toucan12
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have a beach house with the exact same problem and spectrum. I just tried to enable guest mode and I am disappointed after all this effort.  Not sure what to do. 

BuckeyeDoug
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

JV - I'm in the same boat as you - just bought some Roku TVs to get rid of the Spectrum cable box at my vacation rental, and am disappointed to find out like you Roku forgets apps entered.  This is after reading articles touting Roku as THE best approach for AirBnB/VRBO type users.

My request to Roku is to either make Spectrum a default channel - and let us keep it toward the top, OR allow us to create our own custom Guest Mode.  As it is I'm going to use my personal account and take out the credit card info.  NOT idea.

0 Kudos
JackVette
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@BuckeyeDoug 

Yes....

Last year, I had cable boxes and a couple of Roku TV's.  

Guest mode was fantastic.  Guests got my welcome message and they could put in their departure date.  I could control from my computer if I liked in case a guest didn't put in the guest mode end date....

Like you, I got rid of the boxes and instead have the app.  I bought more Roku TV's and was very unpleasantly surprised with the situation.

My rental company decided to create their own account for Roku and did NOT put any of the new TV's on guest mode.

This totally defeats the guest mode purpose.

The skeptic in me wonders if Roku veiws Spectrum as a competitor and doesn't want to make it easy...  

0 Kudos
GJ2022
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Also, a BIG problem for rental houses wanting to use Guest Mode: DO NOT USE YOUR PERSONAL ROKU ACCOUNT to activate the Roku devices. I have found that some channels, like Paramount+ and Starz, have auto logon. When in Guest Mode, if a renter adds the Paramount+ channel for example, it auto signs into my Paramount account since that channel and device are tied to my Roku account. It should not do this in Guest Mode but it does!!!!!  I verified this several times. This is completely counter to what Roku says Guest Mode does. I also have a Netflix account but it didn’t auto login when in Guest Mode. (Don’t know if this affects this issue but I currently have free trial memberships with Paramount+ and Starz….not paid memberships like Netflix.  ?? )

So, I am creating a separate Roku account just for my rental house, setting up the Spectrum app, and having all 8 Roku devices activated using this new account. NOT using Guest Mode at all. Will make sure there is no credit card info too. Will also leave a note to remind renters to sign out of any channel they’ve signed into. 

Was hoping Guest Mode would work for me but it’s just not for rental homes.

Learning2

Jump to solution

I agree. (I have exact same problem).  Best option is to set up a new ROKU account and use that for all your ROKU boxes at the rental.  Load the Spectrum app.  Remind quests to delete any logins they may have made to Netflix, Prime, etc., when they leave.  

Unrealistic to expect guests to read about and then find and load Spectrum app.

It's not ideal but so, so much better, cleaner, cheaper than Charter and all those cable boxes PLUS Roku.  Which is what I had before.

TIP - when I set up the account it required a credit card.  OK.  But then when the went to update the card a few minutes later I found I could delete the card and go cardless!  So - no way a renter can charge anything to me.  

Thanks to all the posters on this issue.