Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cheesebread222
Reel Rookie

How to fix custom screensaver option that disappeared

Jump to solution

I have a roku streaming stick+ and have been using the custom screensaver option to display images I picked from my phone.  It was working earlier today, but a little bit ago the screensaver that popped up was one of the default ones, and when I went to check the options menu, the option had disappeared.  Plus the screensaver option no longer appears on my mobile app. 

Running version 10.0.0

Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to fix custom screensaver option that disappeared

Jump to solution

Here is the response I got in Chat with Roku:

Recent update has made the changes. If this is not what you expected, I will forward your concern to the relevant team to check if they can revert back to the previous mode in the upcoming updates.

View solution in original post

v0rtex
Reel Rookie

Re: How to fix custom screensaver option that disappeared

Jump to solution

This may not be an ideal solution but I'm dropping in to share this with everyone who's complained of the missing screensaver function (as I have).  I had decided to just give up on Roku fixing this and go create my own (the myriad of available screensavers are developed by 3rd party folks using Roku development platform, which it turns out is fairly robust).  I mean, I'm a software engineer by trade and a photographer in my spare time, so I got started and have been working on my own for about two weeks now.

ANYWAY... while researching how to make part of this code work, I found a user who has made and published a brilliant screensaver.  It allows you to link the screensaver to your Google Photos account (or to many of them if you wish), and it will display your photos as your screensaver.  He has put plenty of user-friendly options in it, too!

Go here to find it and add it to your Roku account:
https://channelstore.roku.com/details/637cbf48183a52820a32e8a7a8ff865a/photoview-for-google-photos

Like I said - it doesn't fix the OP's problem, but it's a pretty good alternative!

View solution in original post

56 REPLIES 56
WillyWill

Re: Custom screensaver missing

Jump to solution

Wow, same here!! I used it for my demented wife. She enjoys viewing photos of our family and trains.

Jdann

Jump to solution

Same issue here as well and I also have the streaming stick+! I’ve been using the media option for a screensaver for years to display pictures from my phone as the screensaver. So disappointed it’s not working. There was a recent update so hopefully the Roku team is listening and can fix this issue for us.

Tags (3)
darewicked
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Wanted to boost this again. I have a Roku TV, used the phone to setup a custom screensaver. The "Screensaver" option under "Media" on the Roku App is now gone entirely.

Fingers crossed the Roku team adds it back.

Spiderman1
Reel Rookie

Custom screensaver no longer available

Jump to solution

I want to talk to somone about this problem and i am piss off about it roku 

If this don't get fix i will delete roku tv from my tv 

Fix this issue now

I have a roku tv and have been using the custom screensaver option to display images I picked from my phone.  It was working earlier today, but a little bit ago the screensaver that popped up was one of the default ones, and when I went to check the options menu, the option had disappeared.  Plus the screensaver option no longer appears on my mobile app. 

Danieldialatone
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yep!!! Same here.  Bet you no one at ROKU monitors this community forum, so I think all we can do here is vent our frustrations into the wind.

Erinfaye
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Same problem here. Had a custom screensaver and it changed to fake fish for no apparent reason today. I went into the app and when I go to the Mobile Screensaver option, I now get a blank screen (in the app—the photos never load). The photos in the player do load, though, so the access is fine. This is with a #Roku Ultra (4660, 4661, 4662 series) and the Roku, TV, and iphone and app are all updated.

I’ve tried deleting the app and reinstalling, restarting the Roku…everything I can find. Have also emailed Roku support. This is my last resort!

ETA: I spent a couple of hours with the chat support today. Two supervisors later, they claim to have no idea what’s going on (and questioned whether the issue is real, despite their own support rep having duplicated it). But they said they would “investigate” and respond with additional info at some indeterminate point in the future. 

Atreydies

Mobile screensaver/custom screensaver

Jump to solution

I just talked with Roku chat support about the mobile screensaver being gone, and after a bit of very simple answers, they suggested I restart my app and device. I restarted my phone and my device, no luck. Chat support was so frustrating that I'm not gonna deal with them again tonight. 

So to everyone having this issue, good luck. I may try and see if I can call and talk to a human that I know is a human.

DKSteele

Jump to solution

OMG. I lost my mom almost five years ago. I picked 80 pictures of her from my phone and love when my screen saver comes on and shows all our family photos of her. It helps me cope with her loss. I really want this back. I’m so sad now. 

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Mobile screensaver/custom screensaver

Jump to solution

Apparently the Mobile Screensaver was removed - this may have been an attempt to reduce memory load on lower memory (512MB) models, that were/are having trouble loading apps (though the mobile screensaver didnt work with them - only 4K models).

I would continue to follow up and get an official response.