Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect (cast) my Chromebook to Roku smart TV

For those of us who need to display from your Chromebook to your Roku Smart TV: you will need a HDMI cable.

As of April 1, 2020 Roku and Google have not come up with any other way to be compatible with casting between the two. My Roku remote app wouldn't let me do it either even when I was completely signed.

However, the display using the HDMI cable was beautiful. Check back for updates on controlling the mouse. Smiley Happy Thank goodness for two in ones!

15 REPLIES 15
Muziq
Reel Rookie

Re: From Chromebook to Roku TV

Muziq
Reel Rookie

I know how to share my Chromebook to my Roku Tv all you need is an HDMI adapter and an HDMI cord connect the HDMI adapter to your Chromebook and connect the end of the HDMI adapter to the HDMI cord and connect the HDMI cord to your Roku Tv I hope that works for you and if you want to connect your Chromebook to your tv just do the same thing Thank You and good luck. and there is another way to share your Chromebook screen 4.jpg

First, connect your HDMI Adapter to your Chromebook.

3.jpg

Next, you need to connect your HDMI cord to the HDMI adapter.

2.jpg

Next, you need to connect your HDMI cord to the tv if you have any kind of tv that has an HDMI port you can connect your HDMI cord as well.

1.jpg

Last turn your tv and your Chromebook on and there you can see your Chromebook screen on the TV.

Well if you want to show your same screen on the TV and the Chromebook you both press full screen and Ctrl if you have a windows 10 and you want to share your screen here is a video on you tube of how to share your screen on windows 10 it works on all Roku devices https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sf2OVjtlQk I hope that helps you. 

If you have any questions contact me on my Roku profile or my email address muziqlee0@gmail.com

Thank You  

togafan22

3i2ygrf2yuGIF4ui2gui2uguy42tt42g

0 Kudos

good

Muziq
Reel Rookie

thank you

0 Kudos
Cris3484

It's just showing my home screen, not my tabs when I open chrome.

0 Kudos
Jlun89

After connecting hdmi

Settings

Devices

Click mirror built in display

0 Kudos
Lord-Byron

It's making me rethink the whole Roku thing, probably won't get another Roku device. There's always a Firestick or a FireTV. What a stupid thing, they're catering/pandering to the apple crowd, leaving the chrome and android users, the ones who WANT to connect to stuff wirelessly, out of luck. 

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@Lord-Byron wrote:

It's making me rethink the whole Roku thing, probably won't get another Roku device. There's always a Firestick or a FireTV. What a stupid thing, they're catering/pandering to the apple crowd, leaving the chrome and android users, the ones who WANT to connect to stuff wirelessly, out of luck. 

They actually "pandered" to the Android/Chrome (and Windows and entire industry) "crowd" first, by adding (open/industry-standard) Miracast & DIAL support, both of which Google initially supported in its products, including Chromecast (and the initial GoogleCast protocol it used).

When Google decided to switch its GoogleCast protocol (and ChromeCast products) from relying on open/industry standards (Miracast & DIAL) to a closed proprietary one (present-day GoogleCast), along with deprecating/disabling Miracast support in Android (OEMs/users have to re-enable it in recent-version Android devices) in favor of (closed proprietary) GoogleCast protocol, they created a compatibility mess with the installed based of Miracast/DIAL enabled devices like Rokus.

So Roku uses Miracast/DIAL (and more recently AirPlay2) for mirroring & casting.

Guess what FireTV uses?  Miracast & DIAL.   Amazon even has its own casting protocol that no one else uses or cares about:  Fling. 

There is no AirPlay2 or GoogleCast support (even though its Android-based, unlike Roku) on FireTV devices (though third party apps can/do provide support for both).

So, Its probably a good idea to acquire a FireTV device (I recommend 3 different streaming platforms) for a host of reasons (app compatibility/carriage disputes, bad app/firmware updates, functionality differences, access to/sideloading of Android apps), but DECREASED (official) mirroring/casting support (at least relative to a Roku) isnt one of them.