Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Airplay issues with Roku Express+

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

I have passed along your concerns to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. Once more information becomes available, I'll be sure to update the Community.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Airplay issues with Roku Express+

@estaudacher2 wrote:

I have a Roku Express+ (3910 series) , and it recently updated to the 10.0 roku operating system. I'm trying to connect my iPhone XR with ios 14.5 so that I can use airplay now that the device has updated. When I go to my roku's settings to try to open the airplay and homekit settings in order to enable airplay the airplay channel loads for anywhere from 5-60 seconds (shows just a black screen with white text that says airplay), and then seems to crash and brings me back to the main roku settings page. Occasionally my phone does manage to load the prompt asking for the code from my tv in order to sync the devices, but the code on the tv never loads and the airplay feature seems to crash anytime I try to access it. My roku does show up as a device when choosing screen mirroring from my phone, but if I select it it just shows a loading symbol indefinitely and never actually manages to mirror my screen or airplay anything. Does anyone know any fixes for this or is this maybe just a roku operating system bug that hopefully will get fixed down the line with an update? Appreciate any help you can offer!

**This issue (AirPlay crash to home upon loading with composite output) is fixed as of 6/4/21 (along with the Apple TV app crash to home upon loading)**

0 Kudos
Maggzzz

Airplay cannot stream on Roku express

I have a Roku Express 3930X currently running on 10.0. I was able to stream videos on webpages (Safari) using Airplay until a week ago. I can use the screen monitoring function but whenever I stream something, my tv screen is stuck with the Airplay settings page or a black screen. Wondering if anyone has had the same problem and has solved it? 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Airplay cannot stream on Roku express

@Maggzzz wrote:

I have a Roku Express 3930X currently running on 10.0. I was able to stream videos on webpages (Safari) using Airplay until a week ago. I can use the screen monitoring function but whenever I stream something, my tv screen is stuck with the Airplay settings page or a black screen. Wondering if anyone has had the same problem and has solved it? 

While you did mention your model name, #, and firmware version partially, you left out the build (it matters, especially for AirPlay):  Settings/System/About

However, this appears to be a recurring issue with the AirPlay2 support.

1) Verify you have the latest AirPlay support:  Settings/System/System update/Check now (should be 10.0.0-4209 or later) - try again

2) Verify your devices arent connected to a Guest SSID or otherwise have AP/Client Isolation enabled on the SSID - try again

3) Disable & re-enable WiFi on the Apple devices - try again

4) Restart all devices (Rokus, Apples, modem/router/gateway) - try again

5) Reset the paired devices: Settings/Apple Airplay and HomeKit/Require Code/Reset Paired Devices - try again

6) Setup HomeKit: Settings/Apple Airplay and HomeKit/Setup HomeKit - try again

7) Switch either Rokus or Apples from 5Ghz to 2.4Ghz, or from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz - try again

😎 Manually configure Roku's display output to 1080p:  Settings/Display type/1080p TV - try again

0 Kudos
Yazand99
Reel Rookie

Airplay not showing up on device

I have the roku express 3900rw, i update the roku and was trying the airplay but it won’t show up and made sure it was connected to the same wi-fi restart the roku, my phone and the router but nothing seems to work 

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Airplay not showing up on device

Replying to @@Yazand99:

The Roku devices listed below must be running Roku OS 10.0 or higher to support Apple HomeKit and streaming with AirPlay 2. The Airplay support will be rolled out in batches AFTER your initial OS 10 update is received.

Roku TV               Dxxxx, 8xxxx 
Roku Streaming Stick  3600, 3800, 3801 
Roku Express          3900, 3930, 3801 
Roku Express+         3910, 3931 
Roku HD               3932 
Roku 2                4205, 4210 
Roku 3                4200, 4201, 4230

Information current as of May 19, 2021. See Roku Airplay page for any updates:
Source: https://support.roku.com/article/360057488733

Helpful forum post by @StreamerUser re getting Airplay to work: https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Device-Features-Settings-Updates/Help-setting-up-Apple-Airplay-on...

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Yazand99
Reel Rookie

I checked again and it’s running os10

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@Yazand99 

This appears to be a recurring issue with the AirPlay2 support:

1) Verify you have the latest AirPlay support: Settings/System/System update/Check now

2) Verify your devices arent connected to a Guest SSID or otherwise have AP/Client Isolation enabled on the SSID - try again

3) Disable & re-enable WiFi on the Apple devices - try again

4) Restart all devices (Rokus, Apples, modem/router/gateway) - try again

5) Reset the paired devices: Settings/Apple Airplay and HomeKit/Require Code/Reset Paired Devices - try again

6) Setup HomeKit: Settings/Apple Airplay and HomeKit/Setup HomeKit - try again

7) Switch either Rokus or Apples from 5Ghz to 2.4Ghz, or from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz - try again

😎 Manually configure Roku's display output to 1080p: Settings/Display type/1080p TV - try again

0 Kudos

Device not being shown when trying to use airplay or screen mirroring

I just bought the Roku Express 4k for my Emerson TV. It’s a model 3930x. It says it has airplay but it does not show up when I try to use airplay. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Device not being shown when trying to use airplay or screen mirroring

FYI, on Roku devices screen mirroring (Miracast=Settings/System/Screen mirroring) and AirPlay (Settings/Apple AirPlay and HomeKit) are two different protocols/functionality.

You'd need to test the AirPlay with an Apple device (barring using third party apps that allow Miracast), and the Miracast with an Android/Windows device (barring using third party apps that allow AirPlay).

For AirPlay:

1) Verify you have the latest AirPlay support:
    A) Settings/Apple AirPlay and HomeKit/About AirPlay/AirPlay version=3.2.0.13
    B) Settings/System/System update/Check now (RokuOS should be 10.0.0-4209 or later) - try again

3) Verify Roku AirPlay with phone HotSpot - enable HotSpot (2.4Ghz), connect/tether Roku to Hotspot - try again

4) Disable & re-enable WiFi on the Apple devices - try again

5) Restart all devices (Rokus, Apples, modem/router/gateway) - try again

6) Disable AirPlay: Settings/Apple AirPlay and HomeKit/AirPlay=off, Restart Roku, Enable AirPlay - try again

7) Reset the paired devices: Settings/Apple AirPlay and HomeKit/Require Code/Reset Paired Devices - try again

😎 Setup HomeKit: Settings/Apple Airplay and HomeKit/Setup HomeKit - try again

9) Switch either Rokus or Apples from 5Ghz to 2.4Ghz, or from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz - try again

10) Set display to 1080p: Settings/Display type/1080p TV - try again

11) Network connection reset: Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Network connection reset - try again

12) Factory reset: Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Factory reset <--- Last resort

0 Kudos