Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to airplay and screen mirror on Roku Express 4K

When I attempt to cast video using airplay on my roku express 4k+ 3491x running 10.5.0 build 4167-CR i get nothing but a black screen. After about 4-5 seconds of black screen it boots me to the airplay settings menu most times. From some video sources I'll get audio but no video. Other times i'll just get nothing. Podcasts and music work great but video doesn't. 

I also tried video casting apps like Web Video Caster and TV Cast. It's the same thing with all of them, I'll attempt to load a video source and it gets up to 99%, hangs, and throws an error on the iOS companion app.

I've already tried toggling all kinds of display/resolution and audio settings, my wifi networks match, i've tried resetting the roku, factory resetting the roku, toggling airplay settings and resetting, resetting my router, etc. 

Side note: On my old roku express 3930x running 10.0.0 build 4209-AE Airplay and casting with the aforementioned apps works perfectly with video and all, so I know the problem is my new express 4k+ and not my phone. That being said I'm using an iPhone 7 running iOS 13.6.1

Side note 2: interestingly on the new express 4k that doesn't work, under airplay setting in the about section I can see the Airplay version number is 3.3.0.54 while the old express' version number is 3.2.0.13. Not sure if it's much of a smoking gun, just another difference I noticed. At a loss here

Hope there's something simple I'm missing, thanks for your time.

edit: just found out the exact same thing happens when I try to connect to roku as a display from Windows 10. The progress bar goes up to 99% and hangs.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
118 REPLIES 118
peppersrocket64
Reel Rookie

Still no airplay support on express 2020

I find it ridiculous that I can’t get airplay support because I brought a 1080P device instead of wasting money on a 4K device. Why they think this is acceptable to force users to pay for a more expensive device JUST so I can send a video from my iPad to my Roku i don’t know.

this is the EXACT reason I wanted a Roku in the first place. Universal features that work on ANY device. Clearly I should have thought more about it. Then I might have got a device that isn’t missing features.

Roku Express Won't Show Up in Airplay or Screen Mirror

I have three Rokus, one on a Insignia TV, one Ultra, and an Express. The Express refuses to show up in air play on my Macbook and on my phone. I've checked all the settings, changed it to prompt, but no matter what, the other 2 show up as options and the Express does not. HELP!

The device does have a screen mirroring option, so the technology is available...just not working.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Express Won't Show Up in Airplay or Screen Mirror

The Express isnt supported for Airplay:

https://support.roku.com/article/360057488733

Is my Roku device compatible?

To determine if you can use AirPlay and HomeKit with your Roku device, you need to know the software version and device model. To find this information, go to the home screen and select Settings > System > About.

The Roku devices listed below support streaming with AirPlay 2:

Device Model

Roku TV™ 

Axxxx, Cxxxx, CxxGB, 7xxxx 

Roku Streambar™

Roku Smart Soundbar 

9101, 9100 

Roku Ultra

4800, 4670, 4661, 4662, 4660, 4640 

Roku Premiere

4630, 4620, 3920 

Roku Streaming Stick®+ 

3811, 3810 

To use AirPlay and HomeKit, your compatible Roku device must be running Roku OS 9.4 or higher. Your Roku device checks for an update every 24-36 hours or you can manually check for a software update if necessary.

0 Kudos
Larry4FL
Reel Rookie

Re: Airplay not showing up on device

In my case, it showed up when I set the TV up, and was able to watch something from my Mac on the TV screen using Airplay. A few weeks later, I couldn’t do that, and when I looked at the settings, Airplay and Homekit was gone.  

0 Kudos
Thein

Airplay

Does Roku Express HD 3930R support Airplay 2?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Airplay

Yes, with OS10 and the AirPlay update:

https://support.roku.com/article/360057488733

0 Kudos

Airplay issues with Roku Express+

I have a Roku Express+ (3910 series) , and it recently updated to the 10.0 roku operating system. I'm trying to connect my iPhone XR with ios 14.5 so that I can use airplay now that the device has updated. When I go to my roku's settings to try to open the airplay and homekit settings in order to enable airplay the airplay channel loads for anywhere from 5-60 seconds (shows just a black screen with white text that says airplay), and then seems to crash and brings me back to the main roku settings page. Occasionally my phone does manage to load the prompt asking for the code from my tv in order to sync the devices, but the code on the tv never loads and the airplay feature seems to crash anytime I try to access it. My roku does show up as a device when choosing screen mirroring from my phone, but if I select it it just shows a loading symbol indefinitely and never actually manages to mirror my screen or airplay anything. Does anyone know any fixes for this or is this maybe just a roku operating system bug that hopefully will get fixed down the line with an update? Appreciate any help you can offer!

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Airplay issues with Roku Express+

If your 3910 is using Composite output then loading AirPlay (or the Apple TV app) from the UI results in crashing to Home (HDMI output works without issue).

NOTE:  Miracast-based screen mirroring is specifically precluded on the 3910 when Composite output is used, so this ultimately may be a similar usage exclusion for AirPlay2.

This is a known/reported issue but should still be reported to Roku: 

chat or email:  https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options   (choose setup/ultra/other/need more help?)

Also might be worth messaging @RokuDanny-R  @RokuKariza-D  @RokuMary-F as well

0 Kudos
dgeoffri

Re: Airplay issues with Roku Express+

Thanks for the clarification!  I just bought a Roku 3910 a week or so ago for use on my Trinitron in my "classic" TV/LaserDisc/gaming console room, since it's sometimes convenient to also be able to watch some internet-based video content in here, and was feeling stumped by the same issue.  I didn't even think to try connecting the device to HDMI since that's not what I bought it for.  This is a bug for sure!

0 Kudos