Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How far ahead of time can you search for a show?

How far in advance can you search for a show/movie via Roku? For example, there is a Hallmark Christmas movie that I know is airing on Nov. 26, but when I do a search for it, nothing comes up. When will this show up in searches so that I can add it to my library/schedule it to record? We're new to cutting the cord and some of the little changes are just now showing up. 🙂

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: How far ahead of time can you search for a show?

It sounds like you are using some “cable replacement” type service/app that includes a (cloud-based) DVR.  The answer will depend on which service/app you are using.  My first guess would be that the search would go about as far out as the EPG.  (Assuming the app has an EPG.)

0 Kudos

No, I'm talking about searching via the Roku. We do subscribe to YouTube TV, which has a guide, but if I just search using the Roku remote (either voice or by typing) it shows me all the ways I can watch whatever I'm searching for (it will tell me it's available on whatever channel or via a subscription service). I'm just wondering how far out it looks, since I'm not getting any results for something I know for a fact is airing on November 26.

0 Kudos

That being said, I don't know a way to search specifically within an app on the Roku. If I want to search YouTube TV, because that's our source for live tv now, I haven't yet figured out how to do it. Like I said, searching with the Roku remote searches the entire Roku - but actually, now that I think about it, I don't think it returns results from YouTube TV's guide.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Hmm, I don’t do much “cable replacement” or “live TV” stuff on my Roku, and as-such, it never occurred to me that a Roku search would produce results that don’t exist yet, and/or require you to take some action in some app to get them recorded in the future.  It’s an interesting concept though.  Keep in mind also, that things in a Roku search must be reported to the search engine by the content provider/channel. In theory, it seems to me that search results could load up a YouTubeTV page that allows you to record a show.

As for searching within an app, apps I normally use like Prime and Netflix have search engines of their own, that can presumably behave pretty much any way they want them to.  I know the regular YouTube app has search so I would assume the YouTube TV app does as well.

0 Kudos