Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KD92
Channel Surfer

Have to register Roku 4K stick every day

Jump to solution

We bought our Roku 4K stick along on 4/14/2022.  Set it up and it worked as expected for about 7 days, now when we turn the TV on the Roku is unlinked and we have to register it again.   So thus far we have registered the Roku 4 times in the last 5 days.   Help!   

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Have to register Roku 4K stick every day

Jump to solution

That can lead to a number of issues.  The TV may not be supplying enough power in general, and it is probably also power-cycling the Roku every time the TV is turned off.  Try using the wall adapter.  If you still have issues – I would return/replace it.

Since many forms of non-volatile memory need more power to write than to read, you might be right on the edge for power using the TV's USB for power.  Then again, the memory could just be faulty.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Are you using the supplied power adapter and not the TV's USB port?  If you are, since it's new you may want to take it back to where you got it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
KD92
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I am using the TV's USB.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

That can lead to a number of issues.  The TV may not be supplying enough power in general, and it is probably also power-cycling the Roku every time the TV is turned off.  Try using the wall adapter.  If you still have issues – I would return/replace it.

Since many forms of non-volatile memory need more power to write than to read, you might be right on the edge for power using the TV's USB for power.  Then again, the memory could just be faulty.

0 Kudos
KD92
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks I will try that to see, we have this same setup on two other TVs (a different brand Vizio) and they don't have the issue, maybe the Sony just doesn't have enough "juice" or the device is faulty.   

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@KD92  Even the instructions that come with your Roku say that it is recommended to use the AC power adapter over USB. 

0 Kudos
KD92
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Totally aware. Considering it is an option to not use the power cord and the my intention is to not have cords all over the place.  I would expect that both options should work properly.   If using the USB won't  work then that USB power supply option should not be available.  bottom line.   FYI.   If you reply to post be helpful else keep scrolling. 

Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@KD92  It depends upon each TV and the voltage it can supply. Even if it works it doesn’t mean it’s the proper way. Wires can be hidden. Verify from your TV manufacturer the voltage supplied from the USB port 

0 Kudos
KD92
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

As I stated in another reply to another user this could very well be the issue as two other TVs with the same setup ,different brand, work fine than the one having the issue. 

In my case the wires cannot easily be hidden which is why I specifically purchased this model.

thanks

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@KD92  Understandable. I used 3M hooks and Velcro straps. Everything is hidden and stuck to the back of the tv

0 Kudos