Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Home + Roku -> No Longer Turns TV on/off but can perform all other operations

Jump to solution

I'm having issues with something that was previously working between the Google Home and the roku. Specifically, I can no longer turn my connected tv from the roku on or off with a voice command.

This used to work.

I can give it other commands to play content and these work (Play House of Cards on Netflix), but it no longer can alter the on/off state of the device. The Roku remote / Roku can successfully power on the tv.

I've tried the following:

• I've unplugged the tv for 10 minutes. 

• I've cycled the power of both devices.

• I've redone the roku's network settings 

• I've unlinked and relinked the roku to google home.

• I've tried every hdmi port of the tv. 

• I've turned off and on the Aquos Link functionality (CEC functionality)

• I've verified via the Google Home activity that the Google Home is correctly receiving / translating the audio to text

• I've tried this on multiple Google Home / Assistant devices. Including my Google Pixel 2 XL.

I've tried the following commands:

• "Turn on roku"

• "Turn on the roku"

• "Turn on my roku"

• "Power on the roku"

• "Turn on the office" (room with the roku)

• "Turn on the office tv"

I've also tried to power off the tv while it's already on with commands like the above, and these, similarly do not work.

I've told this to the Google tech support folks, and the only option they can think of is a workaround / use of a third party app (http://www.appestry.biz/qr). They've indicated that they think this is a problem on Roku's side and their API. It's not the first incident that the tech had seen.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Technology:

• Roku 3 - 4200x Streaming Media Player - 9.0.0 - build 4084-04

• Sharp LC-46D64U 46 in. HDTV LCD TV

• Google Assistant (Home, mini, Pixel 2 XL)
Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: Google Home + Roku -> No Longer Turns TV on/off but can perform all other operations

Jump to solution

Thanks for the notes here. 

The Roku skill for Google Assistant is only currently available on Roku accounts/devices in the US at this time. If you are trying to access or use it in any other region, this would not be supported. We're always looking to expand our offerings and appreciate the interest here. 

You can check our more about the Roku skill for Google Assistant here: https://support.roku.com/article/360009649613-how-do-i-use-the-google-assistant-with-my-roku-streami...

I would recommend removing the skill and your Roku device from your Google 'Home', restarting your device, then trying to add it back once more and see if this helps resolve the issue. 

If you are using the Roku skill for Google Assistant with a Roku streaming player, this will not have the ability to turn off the TV that your Roku player is connected to. You can, however, use a voice command to turn Roku TVs on/off when the skill is enabled for those devices. 

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
43 REPLIES 43
KorriganQC
Channel Surfer

Re: Google Home + Roku -> No Longer Turns TV on/off but can perform all other operations

Jump to solution
Same here.
It used to work.
I have a sharp TV with embedded Roku.
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution
Thanks for letting us know what you're seeing. 

Do you have Fast TV Start enabled in Settings>System>Power on your TV? If not, turn this setting on and try the commands once again. 

If unlinking your Roku device from the Google Home app and then re-linking the device doesn't resolve the issue (with Fast TV start enabled), please PM me with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your Roku TV from Settings>System>About, the version/build of software that your TV is currently running (Settings>System>About). I'll follow up with you directly to see what else we can do to help. 

Thanks,
Tanner

Jump to solution
Hello Tanner,

Thanks for replying! I'll take a look when I'm able to. However, for this tv, I don't believe there is such a setting. It's the Smart Aquos Link which controls power on/off functionality via HDMI.

Best,
-Alex
0 Kudos
Rbilodeau
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
Hello, I am also experiencing this issue. Roku is up to date, Google is set to English US, both are connected to wifi, but I can't use voice commands. Also tried relinking, which paired fine, but no luck in it actually working.
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution
Hi there! 

Thanks for the note. Please try going through setup to control your Roku device with the Google Assistant once more using the steps provided here: https://support.roku.com/article/360009649613-how-do-i-control-my-roku-streaming-device-with-the-goo...

Let us know if you're still encountering an issue from there!

Thanks,
Tanner
0 Kudos
lmgray
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
I have the same problem. Google Home says "actually the Roku doesn't support that functionality" when I say "hey Google, turn on the Roku" This worked until a few months ago. The home button on my Roku basic remote turns on my cec enabled dumb sony tv, and the Roku remote app on my phone can turn the TV on and off by voice command, so I know HDMI cec power control is working. Google home control of the Roku works otherwise. It used to allow " turn on the Roku" and "turn off the Roku" until sometime in the late winter (2019). It's as if the google home/Roku integration no longer knows of the power on/off passthrough capability so it says it's not supported. This is a roku 3900x - Roku express. SW version 9.1.0 - build 4111-51
trekkeriii
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
"lmgray" wrote:
I have the same problem. Google Home says "actually the Roku doesn't support that functionality" when I say "hey Google, turn on the Roku" This worked until a few months ago. The home button on my Roku basic remote turns on my cec enabled dumb sony tv, and the Roku remote app on my phone can turn the TV on and off by voice command, so I know HDMI cec power control is working.  Google home control of the Roku works otherwise.  It used to allow " turn on the Roku" and "turn off the Roku" until sometime in the late winter (2019).  It's as if the google home/Roku integration no longer knows of the power on/off passthrough capability so it says it's not supported.  This is a roku 3900x - Roku express. SW version 9.1.0 - build 4111-51

I can confirm this myself. I had the ability to say "Turn my TV off" and "on" with a Roku Ultra, lost that functionality. Workaround is I use my Shield for that piece instead. CEC on Roku takes over when I start using the remote.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - AT&T- 1000 Mbps/1000 Mbps
Net+ Cert
Jeromeb

Jump to solution
I have the same problem for awhile. It appears to have occurred in Versions 9. Any answers?
Danimal123

Jump to solution
Same issue with my Roku ultra. Any fix yet?
0 Kudos