Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lmgray
Reel Rookie

Re: Google Home + Roku -> No Longer Turns TV on/off but can perform all other operations

Jump to solution

Sometime in the last couple of weeks, Google Assistant on Google Home Mini started working again.  I don't know what changed, but I'm again able to use "OK, Google -- turn on Roku" and my Roku Express blinks and HDMI attached dumb (Sony) TV powers on via CEC.  "OK, Google -- turn off Roku" powers off the TV again as well.  Roku, Google or both fixed something -- thanks!

esolv
Reel Rookie

Re: Google Home + Roku -> No Longer Turns TV on/off but can perform all other operations

Jump to solution

Still not working for my TV with Roku built-in (I am from canada). Very disappointed in ROKU Customer Satisfaction, really looks like they don't carea bout Canadian customer - I am certainly not recommending it to friends and family

0 Kudos
iFrog
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hey guys, just got caught up on this thread.   I tried re-linking my Roku account with Google, and I am able to turn the TV on and off again with CEC via the Roku.  While  the one TV in the bedroom doesn't have CEC support, it does turn on the connected sound bar when issuing the command to power on the TV, or the Roku.  As far as launching channels on either device, that seems to work.  Asking for content say from prime video also seems to work, however, is there a way to tell google to start playing a specific show?

In my case, I wanted it to continue playing the original Star Trek series from Prime Video, however, all I was able to do was have Star Trek shows on prime video shown to me in the search.

One other issue is, since there are many different Star Trek series, how do I tell it which one I want ? simply saying Star Trek makes it ask which one I want, vs just assuming I wanted the original series.

0 Kudos
KCravi

Jump to solution

Enabling fast start fixed this problem for me

0 Kudos
lmgray
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Fast Start is a feature of Roku TVs -- this thread is about those of us using Roku Express connected to a non-Roku TV -- i.e. we don't have Fast Start.  We rely on CEC to turn connected non-Roku-TV on and off. The CEC support on Roku Express seems to have been broken for a year or so, but working again -- in the U.S. anyway.  To friends in Canada, I'm sorry (for so many things lately...  😞 ).

0 Kudos
KorriganQC
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have a Roku TV and I live in Canada.

i should have posted when it happened, but since a couple of months now, Google is now able to turn on/off my tv with the voice.

I have done nothing special. It just happened one day.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thank you!!! This worked!

0 Kudos
Dani_y

Jump to solution

Hey, did you ever figure it out? I just got the new Chromecast with Google TV. No way of getting it to work using CEC. I had to link the Roku account to Google assistant and then when asking to watch something, I have to add “on Bedroom TV”

0 Kudos
iFrog
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Dani_y wrote:

Hey, did you ever figure it out? I just got the new Chromecast with Google TV. No way of getting it to work using CEC. I had to link the Roku account to Google assistant and then when asking to watch something, I have to add “on Bedroom TV”

I've removed my Roku(s) from my google home account.  I felt they had too limited functionality, and they would cause conflicts with other devices such as the TV itself.  I've also pretty much taken a break from using google home all together at this point (for the most part).  I have always preferred amazon's assistant, and that's where most of my smart stuff is set up.  I don't use Roku with either one right now.  I just use it manually with the remote right now.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Turning on Fast Start worked for me with Google Home voice commands! - Thanks!

0 Kudos