Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tom817
Binge Watcher

Re: FuboTV Multiview updates on adding

@Trebilicwrote:

I was actually trying to agree with your post, and more replying to @RokuDanny-R. I have a number of TCL TVs with Roku built in and additionally I have a number of Ultra devices. I currently use FuboTV and would really like the Multi-View feature to be supported on Roku devices.

@TrebilicYour case of owning several, even many, devices and wanting Multiview is more, strong confirmation of market demand for Multiview support on the platform. +1 for posting.

@Trebilicwrote:

Seems like there is something besides the platform that might be keeping Roku from supporting this. Maybe Apple has an exclusive deal with Fubo.

In the absence of any communication beyond a general, "Check with channel provider", the door is wide open to nearly any speculation. Fubo certainly is and has been excited about Multiview since 2020! Are you paying attention Roku?

For you, it may be possible to enable Roku's Miracast and/or Airplay, then send a browser or app-based view from another laptop or tablet to your Roku enabled equipment. It is a kludge that might get you what you want.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

For now, Roku devices can only play one video at a time. Any kind of "mutiview" would have to be something the provider handles on their end with some kind of video trick. Roku rarely, if ever, comments on any kind of new feature here and they never comment on features in a channel/app they have no control over.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Tom817
Binge Watcher

Greetings @renojim 

@renojim wrote:

For now, Roku devices can only play one video at a time. 

Greetings.  Yes, I've seen you assert this before in previous posts.  I understand you're Community & not Roku staff, but the account wears an "Expert" tag, so here's a deeper question.  The question is "Why only one stream?"  Teardown inspections of at least one Roku Ultra reveal a Realtek RTD1319VR, which may be a Roku dedicated part number.  Datasheet searches, product announcements, and comparisons with Android TV devices using RTD1319xx chips describe RDT1319xx chips as being 4k capable with support for multiple transport streams.  The Linux kernel and associated software underlying the Roku interface, can handle it.  It isn't a "trick", compositing multiple inputs into one output is well understood in the video world.

@renojim wrote:

Roku rarely, if ever, comments on any kind of new feature here…

Rarely, yes, not never.  See the thread about unwelcome ads,

Just asking for feedback that "Yes, you've provided enough evidence that we've forwarded this to the internal teams for investigation, or No, Roku product planning doesn't see the interest I think is there.  Read the linked Fubo blog post up thread, Apple Corp hardware engineers were in the facility on Fubo's Multiview project.  

@renojim wrote:

…they never comment on features in a channel/app they have no control over.

May I suggest you reread my initial post.  I'm asking Roku to support a developer that wants to try it with some sort of direct engagement, like Apple did with Fubo.  Obviously, a Roku scale effort, not the same as what Apple can do., That'd be single channel.  But more importantly, think more ambitiously.  Make it a platform feature, entirely under Roku control, that lets me pick multiple sources and output them in one stream, i.e. do the compositing on device.  Wouldn't try it on an Express, but that's why I bought an Ultra.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Tom817, all I can say is good luck with pretty much everything you're asking for.  I've been around here a long, long time and Roku just doesn't operate like that.  You won't get any special treatment (unless you're Netflix).

There's a place for feature suggestions:  Suggest a Feature | Roku Community | Roku

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Mkoch5

Just caught this thread as I was searching for the same thing.  I love my FuboTV service and am extremely jealous of the Multiview feature only available to AppleTV users.   All of my TVs are roku supported and it would be fantastic if I could utilize the Multiview feature without buying an apple device. I’d gladly buy a more upscale device from Roku if needed (though that would be disappointing for the TCL Roku TVs I already have).  

MJ9

I've checked back on this thread for an update from Roku multiple times. I've been a Roku customer since 2017, but plan to switch to Apple TV next month solely to have this multiview capability for sports. I'm not threatening, it is my plan. Just thought I'd check back one last time before i switch. It's unfortunate you don't seem to care to keep our business. Take care Roku and so long