Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forced resolution auto detect via update

I recently purchased a Roku express from Walmart. I have an older model LG flat screen that does not support anything higher than 720p resolution. Having said that, every time I unplug my device, I have to do a factory reset in order to change my resolution to 720p. Auto detect just gives me a blank screen. And after 15 seconds it switches back to the resolution select menu. After the recent update, I no longer have an option to select screen resolution. I select language, put in my wifi info and it says checking for updates then goes blank. I've swapped HDMI cords, power cords, tv inputs, ect. I even unplugged everything overnight then tried again. Same result. I understand from reading thru these posts that maybe the update now forces auto detect instead of giving you an option. If that's the case, then I'll have to look for something other than Roku to stream with. Do I have any options to manually change my resolution after this update? 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Forced resolution auto detect via update

Are you saying that Settings > Display type > 720p TV does not resolve it? It changes it?

One other question: why are you unplugging your Roku? Is there another problem you haven't mentioned? Because generally, there is no reason to unplug a Roku. So what's made you decide to take that unusual step? Is there another problem? If so, that may provide a clue to what's really going on.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos

yes, selecting 720p resolution solves this issue. But I no longer have the option to select a resolution. After the reset and I select language and enter my wifi info, it says checking for updates and goes black. In the past, after I input my wifi info it goes to screen resolution menu. You have to select one of the options which are auto detect, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p. If I select auto detect, screen goes black and after 15 sec returns to the resolution select menu. Normally, I just select 720p and it moves onto enter email...then I finish the setup with my phone thru the email link. Last night I attempted to move my Roku to my bedroom and ever since...after I put in my wifi info (after pressing the devices reset button, holding it down for 10 sec.) My screen goes black...  Through my reading, I don't recall exactly what post, I read something about the most recent update POSSIBLY forces the device to select auto detect, which causes my screen to black out. Could this be the issue? If so how do I fix it? 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Phillipsmichael 

Move your Roku device back to the living room TV.  Go to Settings/TV display/ [720p].

Then just bring your device back to your bedroom and connect it via the HDMI cable to the other TV and plug in power. (no need to reset simply because removed between TVs).

--

Sometimes there are some incompatibility issues with video resolution and TVs, so getting it set up on a known working TV is sometimes necessary to get it working on another.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

I'll try that. Thank you. I'll let you know what happens.

0 Kudos