Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Patrick123

Exiting screensaver launches random channel

Jump to solution

Exiting the default screensaver on Roku Express 4k always launches a random channel and I lose my place in whatever I had been watching. If I do not have a subscription to the random channel then it shows the signup dialog. 

If I am watching YouTube then I want it to go back to YouTube. This is real basic screensaver functionality.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Exiting screensaver launches random channel

Jump to solution

The problem you are describing is caused by the combination of:

1. Using one of the interactive Roku screen savers, such as City Scapes for instance, that scrolls across the screen and contains links to various channel apps, and ...

2. Pressing the remote's Play/Pause key to exit the screen saver. This will cause the channel link currently displayed on the screen saver to be activated, and installed to your system if not already present.

So you can eliminate the problem by:

1. Switching to a different screen saver that doesn't contain channel links, or...

2. Training yourself to use a remote key other than Play/Pause to exit the screen saver. I generally use the * option key.
Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
renojim

Jump to solution

NEVER press Play/Pause to exit the screensaver.  That's most likely your problem.  Press one of the arrow to dismiss the screensaver and then Play/Pause to resume your video.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
makaiguy

Jump to solution

The problem you are describing is caused by the combination of:

1. Using one of the interactive Roku screen savers, such as City Scapes for instance, that scrolls across the screen and contains links to various channel apps, and ...

2. Pressing the remote's Play/Pause key to exit the screen saver. This will cause the channel link currently displayed on the screen saver to be activated, and installed to your system if not already present.

So you can eliminate the problem by:

1. Switching to a different screen saver that doesn't contain channel links, or...

2. Training yourself to use a remote key other than Play/Pause to exit the screen saver. I generally use the * option key.
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X