Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lyka_salas

Don't have access to email saved on Roku account

My former roommate swapped out their Roku with mine for some reason awhile back when we were living together. When they broke off lease and moved out, we were using Roku as per usual, until I wanted to download an app and it asked for a pin. It reminded me that they indeed swapped it out. They claim they don't remember, but my point is, I need to change the email saved on this account because I don't have access to it. I don't even know whose email that is. I'd like to either get rid of the pin, or update it. I tried calling to speak with an agent, but the prompt said that they basically don't help with that situation by this time. What do I do? It's been frustrating and limiting.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Don't have access to email saved on Roku account

Send a private message (PM) to @RokuDanny-R with as much information as you can provide. He will want the device model and serial number, and the email address of the account it's linked to. You can get all of that information on the Settings/System/About screen. 

You could also simply do a factory reset on the Roku device and link it to your account. This will wipe out all existing settings, saved logins and installed channels, and you will have all channels associated with your user account added to the device. If you were using any of the roommate's login credentials, those will all be gone and you will have to use your own.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Boz
Roku Guru

A factory reset should solve your issue.

https://support.roku.com/article/208757008

From the Settings menu

Perform the following steps with your Roku remote or the Roku mobile app.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Advanced system settings
  5. Select Factory reset
  6. If you have a Roku TV, select Factory reset everything. Otherwise, move to the next step.
  7. Follow the on-screen instructions

--OR--

Using the physical button

Located on the back or bottom of your device, the physical Reset button is either tactile or a pinhole design that requires a straightened paperclip.

Once you locate the Reset button and your Roku device is powered on, press and hold the button firmly for about 10 seconds. When the factory reset is complete, an indicator light or status LED will blink rapidly on most Roku devices.

----------

After the factory reset, you can then set the Roku up from scratch, adding it to YOUR Roku account.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@lyka_salas-

Also note that, if your old roomie has your Roku it may still be linked to your Roku account and things could continue to be charged to any payment method attached to it.

If you can, I'd suggest you log into your Roku account using YOUR email address as known to your Roku account (not the one your current Roku shows via Settings/System/About) at https://my.roku.com) and do several things:

• Go to Manage my subscriptions and unsubscribe from your account any subscriptions that you don't wish to continue on this Roku account.
  • IF YOU DON'T INTEND TO LINK THE ROKU YOU HAVE ON HAND TO THIS ACCOUNT, you can go to Deactivate account to cancel this account and unlink any Roku devices from it.  Be sure to unsubscribe from any subscriptions tied to this account BEFORE deactivating the account, as you won't have access to cancel them later.
  • Otherwise, IF YOU DO PLAN TO LINK THE ROKU YOU HAVE ON HAND TO THIS ACCOUNT, scroll down to "My linked devices" and unlink from your account any device you no longer have in your possession.  Any channels and subscriptions on your account will be installed to the Roku on hand after you link it to your Roku account, although you may have to log into them again.

As previously mentioned, to connect the Roku in your possession to a different account, either to your existing Roku account or to a new Roku account you create, perform a Factor reset via the instructions given above by @Boz .

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos