Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know how to turn of the black pause banner it ruins anime subs

It would really be useful to turn off black pause banner that blocks subtitles for a few seconds and comes back on when unpauseing making me miss more subtitles 

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Does anyone know how to turn of the black pause banner it ruins anime subs

@Michaelno53 

Depends on the Channel/app.  Normally, after pressing Pause an information overlay appears. (normally for selecting options, toggling captions, reading program info, etc.)

Normally one of the arrow buttons will remove it (down, up, left or right).  In other Channels/apps it may be the Back button.  Not a universal thing - depends on the Channel developer's choice in coding.  But one of these will usually remove the overlay and still stay paused.

If still having issues, post back the Channel/app you are having the problem with.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos

Yea literally none of those options work unfortunately it’s crunchyroll really ruins the whole sub watching experience if you have to pause 😕

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Michaelno53 

Wondering if device specific.  I just installed and tried it on Ultra 4660.  Both 720p and 1080p resolution.

Testing on "Tomodachi Game"

When pressing Pause, it darkened a bit (not black) so I could see still the subtitles.  Literally 1-2 seconds later the darkened area dissolved and I can see the subtitles clearly on bottom of screen.

When I unpaused, it darkened again and then back to normal lighting.

The left and right arrows seem to advance the scenes, the Back button goes back to Selection Menu, and the up and down arrows seem to do nothing.

Wish I could be of more help but not seeing the black box.  Maybe something that needs to be addressed by Crunchyroll developers for your device model.

0 Kudos

No it’s the two black banners that’s what I meant, but on my screen there’s so dark that you can’t see the subtitles underneath it you have to wait for it to go away and when you press unpause it stays on the screen for a few seconds so you miss subtitles playing while the banner is showing. Did you wind up having to rewind past were you first paused because you missed a bit when you unpaused

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Michaelno53 

No.  My "box" was darker in Pause, but still transparent so I could see the subtitles. Then it lightened back up to normal lighting at same time the upper scene selection box disappeared.  Same on Unpause. A little darker, but still transparent.

It did not darken to the point where I could not see the subtitles in either Pause or Unpause.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Michaelno53 

Attached is the screenshot of what Crunchyroll looks like on my TV just as I hit pause or unpause (the darkest it gets).

Click on image to enlarge.

Crunchy_pause.png

-----

Perhaps see if you adjust the Captioning Style in the Roku Settings. (A lot of different settings regarding opacities and colors both of text, background, and windows).  Mine are all set on Default.  You may have to do some adjusting to yours if you are also currently set to Defaults.  I would imagine these settings would display different on different TVs and Picture settings.

(Settings/Accessibility/Captions Style)

0 Kudos