Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marsham
Reel Rookie

Does Roku have a simple "watch list" feature independent of individual channels / apps watch lists?

Jump to solution

I just bought a Roku and I like that I can search for shows across various apps like Netflix, AppleTV+, etc., but I'm disappointed that there isn't a simple "watch list" feature where I can add shows / movies I'd like to watch in the future.  I know that I can go into each individual channel / app and add shows to individual app watch lists - this isn't what I'm talking about.  I'm surprised that Roku doesn't have a "global" watch list feature that is independent of the individual apps / channels.  I currently keep a list of shows / movies that friends and family recommend to me on my computer and would love to be able to store this in Roku so when I want to watch something, I can peruse this list.  This seems like a simple feature so I'm surprised it's not there, but I'm hoping I'm missing something.

In the meantime, I'm trying out the "Feed" feature, but it is fairly limited and not exactly a watch list. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Does Roku have a simple "watch list" feature independent of individual channels / apps

Jump to solution

@marsham 

As @DBDukes laid out, in OS 11.5, the My Feed feature is being replaced with a more inclusive/global Save List.  The previous Save List feature allowed you to save content available on the Roku Channel.

The new Save List allows you to save content from across the Roku platform.  When you Search the title of a movie/show, you will now be presented with a "Add to Save List" at the end of the list of channels that the content is available on.

This new Save List is part of Roku's "What to Watch" feature section on Home Screen.  When you are in the What to Watch section, you can then access the Save List and see all your saved content.  From within the What to Watch screen, you can also add any content in there to your Save list by pressing the * button on your Roku remote and selecting "Add to Save List".

----

Currently, there seems to be two Save Lists.  The What to Watch Save List is the global save, while the Save List found in the Roku Channel only lists your Roku Channel content saved.

---

You can enable the What to Watch to your Home Screen from Settings/Home Screen/What to Watch/[Show}

The above global Save List may be available on some later builds of 11.0 on certain devices as I had the global Save List feature and the Buzz a week or two prior to my initial 11.5 update.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
DBDukes

Re: Does Roku have a simple "watch list" feature independent of individual channels / apps

Jump to solution

@marsham 

Roku has a Save List feature that isn't exactly as you describe, but it at least a first start. It's part of 11.5 under the What To Watch entry.

https://www.roku.com/blog/roku-os-11-5

By the way, I haven't used it. Well, not really. It shows some things I added via Roku Channel, but I haven't found a way to add non-Roku Channel content to it. I'm still looking. You may want to check it out as well, if you have 11.5 installed.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@marsham 

As @DBDukes laid out, in OS 11.5, the My Feed feature is being replaced with a more inclusive/global Save List.  The previous Save List feature allowed you to save content available on the Roku Channel.

The new Save List allows you to save content from across the Roku platform.  When you Search the title of a movie/show, you will now be presented with a "Add to Save List" at the end of the list of channels that the content is available on.

This new Save List is part of Roku's "What to Watch" feature section on Home Screen.  When you are in the What to Watch section, you can then access the Save List and see all your saved content.  From within the What to Watch screen, you can also add any content in there to your Save list by pressing the * button on your Roku remote and selecting "Add to Save List".

----

Currently, there seems to be two Save Lists.  The What to Watch Save List is the global save, while the Save List found in the Roku Channel only lists your Roku Channel content saved.

---

You can enable the What to Watch to your Home Screen from Settings/Home Screen/What to Watch/[Show}

The above global Save List may be available on some later builds of 11.0 on certain devices as I had the global Save List feature and the Buzz a week or two prior to my initial 11.5 update.

marsham
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar and @DBDukes - Thank you both so much for your quick replies to my post.  I looked at my Roku system info and it appears I have Software Version 11.0.0 so I checked to see if any updates are available and 11.5 was available!  (As an aside, 11.5 must have become available in just the last couple of days because I updated the software when I initially setup my Roku device a couple of days ago.)

After I upgraded to 11.5, I see that the shows I added to "My Feed" were automatically moved to the "Save List" under "What to Watch" which is nice.  This is exactly what I was looking for!  Now I don't have to go into a bunch of different channels / apps and save separate watch lists.  

Thank you again!

0 Kudos
laurihl
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have yet to see any option that has “save list” available. I’m so bummed out about my feed going away and I’m trying to okay along - but I have 11.5 and NO SAVE LIST anywhere. What am I doing wrong? I see older posts refer to this being available only in the Roku channel but this post saying now it’s across all channels but it is not there. I’ve also tried the * button, no save option exists for me. I feel like I’m going crazy reading all these posts! 

Just bring back my feed please!

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@laurihl 

I can't explain why some users are not yet seeing the global Save List with their 11.5 update.  Basically, the 11.5 update is supposed to now allow users to save content from channels/apps throughout the Roku platform for later viewing through the "Add to Save List" option.

Previously, you could only do this for content on the Roku Channel.  Now it is platform wide. (not every channel/app has added it yet, but it is increasingly available.

Some users have indicated that they don't see this feature yet on their 11.5 updated devices yet, so it may come to you and your device in a subsequent build update to your 11.5.

---

The Save List is available through the "What to Watch" menu item. (left menu item on Home Screen).  If you do not see What to Watch, try enabling it from Settings/Home Screen/What to Watch [Show].

Then go to What to Watch.  As a test, highlight one of the shows in there and press the * button on your Roku remote.  A box should popup with the option "Add to Save List".  If this box is not popping up, then the feature has not yet been added to your device. (Again, I do not know why some users have not yet been equipped.)

Just for reference, you should be able to select most content, wherever you find it (in the What to Watch, from the Search menu, from within channels/apps, etc.) and be able to add the content to the Save List.  I have discovered some channels/apps that don't yet support the Save List, but most content I click on has provided me the option to save for later.

Click on image to enlarge.

lauriehl_savelist.png lauriehl_savelist2.png

0 Kudos
DonnaM
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

My Roku channel says version 8.0.  when I click check for updates it says I have the most updated version.  I still can't find my watch list.  Very frustrating

0 Kudos