Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cbarbagallo
Streaming Star

Does Roku Support IPv6?

Jump to solution

Does Roku Support IPv6?   Thanks.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Does Roku Support IPv6?

Jump to solution

No.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
renojim

Jump to solution

No.

cbarbagallo
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Seriously?  

bluej21
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This is sadly still true.  You would think it's a trivial add in the year 2021, especially as the big media providers (Google, Netflix, etc.) all support and prefer it.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

It's something that will need to be added eventually, but for now there's likely not an immediate need for it. Since Roku devices are never connected directly to the Internet, the user's router can handle the internal IPv4 traffic without much bother. Based on an article I just read, it's likely going to be close to 2050 before the world is fully IPv6. I think we have some time...

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
iXe8ta
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My homebrew DVR is based on MythTV.

If I disable IPv6 on that host, the Roku Media Player can find its content.

If I enable IPv6, RMP's scan for content never ends.

In my opinion, Roku really needs to go dual-stack.

atc98092

Jump to solution

@iXe8ta seems odd behavior. I have IPv4 and IPv6 enabled on both of my media PCs, and RMP sees them both without a problem. Both of my servers are running Windows 10, so perhaps it's an OS issue. Perhaps MythTV can't/won't run both protocols at the same time. 

But you're right that support for both is needed.

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
gbcox
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Actually, this support is needed much much sooner than later, as in now.  There are three examples I can think of immediately:  T-Mobile home internet, Starlink internet and Starry internet... there are undoubtedly many more.  The problem is these new internet services use CGNAT for ipv4 traffic and are using or will shortly be using ipv6 for public facing traffic.  If Roku doesn't support ipv6 then that basically means applications that run on the Roku platform that require public addressing (one example is Plex) just won't work properly.  Roku may have gotten away with this in the past (as have many other vendors), but their time has basically run out.  Apple TV and Android TV support ipv6.  I'm a big fan of Roku, but if I change to an ISP that requires ipv6 for public facing traffic (and all of the new technology based ISPs will require it, simply because there aren't any more ipv4 addresses available), then I'll be forced to switch to Android or Apple - and once I switch, I'm not coming back.  Roku isn't stupid, I'm sure they are well aware of the situation - but they need to get in front of this, because the train has already left the station. 

renojim

Jump to solution

Going through one of the "secret" screens after getting the 10.5 update I saw a mention of IPv6, so perhaps they're working on it.

Sir_Launcelot
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Which secret screen?  Is it the one in the platform menu?  I am seeing bad DNS IPv6 queries coming from the wrong scoped IPv6 address.

0 Kudos