Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stanwii
Channel Surfer

Do I Need a New Wire? (CEC/Simplink)

I recently purchased a Roku Ultra LT to replace an Amazon FireTV Stick that had constant issues with not waking up (I actually went through 4 of them in a month before just returning it). My Roku works better, but one feature I am missing is the CEC functionality I had with the Stick. My TV is on the older side, an LG 32LN530B. But it does have SimpLink, which is LG's CEC standard, and it did work with Amazon. My question is, should it be compatible with Roku? If so, my guess is that I just need a new HDMI wire. I think the one I am using is even older than the TV, and of course, the Stick plugged directly in, so that could easily be the problem. I just figured it was better to ask here than to go buy the wire and then have to return it if that did not pan out. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Do I Need a New Wire? (CEC/Simplink)

I assume you mean new HDMI cable, but no, it wont make any difference: Roku only has very limited "one way" CEC support - the Roku (remote) can control itself/other devices, but other devices cannot control it.

(this an oft-complained about/requested feature)

Stanwii
Channel Surfer

Even that would be fine, though, if it would work. I want to use the Roku remote to control the TV without the IR. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Again, "very limited one way":  It can power on the TV/AVR, switch the TV/AVR input to the HDMI port its connected to, it can control TV/AVR volume functions, and thats about it.

Depending on how you have it connected and if your AVR is on/off when you setup the remote, you can control either the TV or the AVR (or both) - there is also the option to control the TV/AVR via IR or CEC, though those options are hidden in "secret screens".

0 Kudos
Stanwii
Channel Surfer

And again, "that would be fine, though, if it would work." I just want to know why not even that is operational with my TV. If it is a limitation of my TV itself, so be it. If I just need a new HDMI wire, then that is an easy fix. Which was my question. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Why not troubleshoot the situation to figure out why it isn't working?  Answering your own original question would be a good place to start.

You have all the information you need:  You know the TV supports CEC, that the Roku supports (some) CEC, but you are not sure about cable.

If "one touch play" is enabled, then with the TV powered off and/or on a different input, pushing any key on the remote (aside from the power and volume related buttons) should 1) turn the TV on 2) switch it to the Roku's input.

If that happens, then the cable is fine (CEC-wise).  If it doesn't, well, HDMI cables are relatively cheap...

Once you establish that CEC is working between the Roku & TV, you can proceed to the next step:

Remote setup/programming (Power/Volume Controls) for the TV/AVR defaults to IR, and if you want to use CEC instead of IR you'll need to access the Roku's secret screens to test/change it:  Home 5x, FF, PP, RW, PP, FF  / RF Remote Menu / IR Transmit Menu / Universal CEC Menu.

Stanwii
Channel Surfer

For the reason actually stated in my original question. I knew to begin with what I could do to test it. I was interested in whether anyone else already had an experience with it. Look, if you don’t actually have answers, you should just leave well enough alone. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

The title of your post and this entire thread is "Do I Need A New Wire?" (for you which you meant "HDMI cable")

Clearly if you knew what you could do to test it, you would have done so, and answered your own question.

You didnt, hence why you posted here asking the question.

Now you know specifically what to do to answer your own question, that you didnt before.

You are the only one that can answer your question.

So do the CEC troubleshooting test as I described, answer your own question, acquire a new HDMI cable if needed, and spare yourself from being stuck in this thread pretending you knew what you didnt all along.

0 Kudos
Stanwii
Channel Surfer

If you don’t have the info people want, stop being pretentious and patronizing and just leave well enough alone. I was searching for an answer to the question I asked so that I did not have to go to the effort of testing it, which would require making a purchase and then returning the purchase if it did not work. My hope was to find whether someone else had experience with it before I bothered. You, clearly, do not. Sadly, you felt compelled to speak anyway, likely because it gives you some neurotic sense of fulfillment. I would suggest seeking help. It also raises questions about your reading comprehension, but that is really more an indictment of the school system than of you. In any case, do not respond to me again. You are not helping. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Strangely, information about Roku's CEC functionality and how to check/verify it in your configuration was provided to you early in the thread.

(Perhaps you lack the requisite reading comprehension and simple second-grade level direction-following skills - probably a Montesorri-based education)

HDMI cables are inexpensive and easily obtainable, you could/should have acquired one if you suspected yours was bad/incapable (you still can, with purchase and posting pride intact).

No one else can tell you whether your HDMI cable is defective or not - only you can answer that (quite easily), and you seem intent on avoiding answering it for yourself (apparently to continue the situational drama as you save up for projectionist certification school...)

No one else has experience with your specific Roku connected to your specific "old wire" connected to your specific "old LG TV":  it is a purely one-off unique scenario that only you can take action to address/answer.

Not only do I not have specific experience with your singular situation, no one else does or can:  just you - hence why you have to do the (simple) CEC troubleshooting for your Roku/"Wire"/TV configuration.

I'd recommend you get a projector, what with your clear talent - then you can sadly, neurotically, pretentiously, patronizingly, playing stupidly seek help and fulfillment as you improve your reading comprehension skills exposed bare by your inability to even follow simple troubleshooting instructions or afford a new "wire", writ large.

Did you test that old "wire" yet? You know, to avoid the very expensive purchase of a new "wire"?  Of course, you can always keep asking other people if your "wire" works with your CEC configuration...