Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Descriptive Narrator Problem

I have an Onn Roku 32 inch tv. Recently I have been using the Roku TV app for private listening through my headphones. I recently went to connect my headphones for private listening and accidentally turned on a descriptive narrator. It’s like when you read a script and the actor’s actions are read aloud. I have tried the four * method to turn it off by that doesn’t work also my tv does have an audio guide setting. How do I turn this off?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Descriptive Narrator Problem

Hi @whitesprite1089,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

When the shortcut is disabled, pressing * star button on Roku remote on your remote four times does not turn on the screen reader.

• Note: The screen reader was previously known as Audio Guide.

If you have a Roku voice remote, you must first pair your remote to connect it to your Roku player. If you cannot control your Roku device, learn what to do if you are having problems with your remote

Here's a link to our support page to find out more about the feature: How to enable the text-to-speech screen reader on your Roku® streaming device | Official Roku Suppor... 

Keep us posted from there if you need additional help.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Descriptive Narrator Problem

Wrong language or verbal description of action on screen when watching program

Some programs contain multiple audio tracks that can be selected, such as different languages or verbal action descriptions for the visually impaired.

The Roku default method of accessing your choice of audio track is to press the * key on your Roku remote while viewing the program and examining the options presented.

But more and more channels are not using the Roku default but substituting their own method of access -- I'm guessing this is so they will have consistent controls with versions of their app running on platforms other than Roku. Often these options are accessed by pressing the up and/or down cursor control keys while viewing the program to pop the channel's own control options on the screen.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos