Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JethroD
Channel Surfer

Current Ultra 2020 Less 'Buggy' with Newer Software/Firmware?

Hi, I'm looking to purchase a Roku Ultra for my Father. He's been very hesitant to use a streaming device, and doesn't have a lot of patience for things that don't work 'as expected'. So I noticed quite a lot of negative reviews about this latest Ultra being pretty buggy when reading reviews on Amazon before purchasing. This makes me very nervous, as he might chuck it against a wall if it's pretty buggy.

A) Have newer O/S or firmware updates been known to help make the device a bit less buggy and more stable than people may have noticed when first getting it (I know it hasn't been out long)?

B) If this device is still just not very stable, what alternative WOULD be stable and still support 4k + HDR?

He has an older LG OLED 4k TV, and I believe an entry/mid-level Onkyo receiver that everything runs through. He's just using 5.1 surround for audio. And I'm not sure if his set supports Dolby Vision or not. Also, his WiFI router is in an upstairs room, so decent WiFi reception is pretty important.

Thanks for any advice here! I have to order the device, get it setup for him, then ship up to him by Father's Day.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
R-3Dreadnought
Streaming Star

Re: Current Ultra 2020 Less 'Buggy' with Newer Software/Firmware?

I am writing this for you because your Dad sounds like mine...someone who will not tolerate any device problems and will just throw it in the trash at the first sign of trouble.

Here is my experience, for what it's worth.  I bought the 2019 4660x Ultra and it worked FLAWLESSLY out of the box.  So much so that I was bragging to my friends and family about how stable and reliable it was.  I was so impressed with it that I was going to get my Dad one for Christmas. 

Then the software updates began. 

9.2.0 rendered it virtually inoperable for months.  They eventually fixed the bugs with 9.2.0 only to roll out 9.3.0 with more bugs.  Then they wrecked Roku Media player (which I used for USB media playback) shortly thereafter with another software update.

Roku decided to temporarily revert to the old (not-updated) version of Roku Media Player, so I disconnected my Roku from the internet so as not to allow any more software updates.  This let me still use the old version of Roku Media Player for playing audio and video from USB.

Bottom line, the software updates caused so much trouble, I permanently disconnected my Ultra from the Internet and now use an Amazon Fire Stick for my streaming needs.  It's cheap and it works. 

The problem with the Roku Ultra is not the device itself, it is the inexplicable desire of Roku developers to do software updates that negatively impact its functionality, all without your consent or approval.

0 Kudos
JethroD
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the honest reply here! I don't think my dad would have a need for the Roku Media Player, just some of the basic apps (Disney+, HBOMax mostly).

- Did you ever try the 9.4 or even 10.0 updates?

Anyone else have experience with the newer updates to see if it made things better or worse?!?

Any other options for stable 4k HDR playback?

My dad doesn't use Amazon Prime, so not sure a Fire Stick (which can heavily promote their content) is best.

THANKS!

0 Kudos
R-3Dreadnought
Streaming Star

Nope (regarding 9.4 and 10.0), I got out and watched the software updating mayhem from the sidelines.

This thread about the 9.4 update should give you a good feel for how Roku handles things.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Device-Features-Settings-Updates/Let-us-roll-back-9-4-broke-a-lot...

In case the link doesn't work, the thread title is "Let us roll back! 9.4 broke a lot"

0 Kudos
JethroD
Channel Surfer

Hmm, OK. So that thread seems to be regarding v.9.4 in general, not just on the newest Ultra. I have an older Roku Premier that 'appears' to be on v.10.0.0.4195. I rarely use it, but I haven't heard my roommate mention any issues. We don't have 4k or HDR to deal with, though. 

- Would any of the other Roku devices support 4k & HDR and be a bit more stable than this Ultra 2020?

0 Kudos