Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fanildean

Considering Roku, have questions

I would love to ditch cable and go full on roku/streaming but I wanted to ask a few questions. If there is a FAQ/HowTo for some of these, please let me know.

1. How have people's experience with networking been? Basically I want to take advantage of the large library of movies I have on my PC. Has anyone run across codec issues or other pitfalls?

2. Which Roku would you recommend? I know there are several versions and my main need is networking. After that, Netflix obviously and then any other services are sort of secondary perks.

3. Any wifi range issues reported? It's probably 50ft from my router to my TV in the other room but multiple turns/walls between the two.

Thanks for any insight you have to offer!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Considering Roku, have questions

@fanildean wrote:

... Basically I want to take advantage of the large library of movies I have on my PC. Has anyone run across codec issues or other pitfalls?

I have installed Plex server on a compute with my videos. It's free -- you don't need a Plex Pass -- and has a good interface. It can transcode most sources. Their Website can tell you more. Some users install similar apps.

@fanildean wrote:

... Which Roku would you recommend? I know there are several versions and my main need is networking. After that, Netflix obviously and then any other services are sort of secondary perks.

Any will do. Well, most any. I am not a fan of the low-end Roku Express, since it only supports 2.4 GHz band, and some ISPs have recently implemented changes that can cause difficulty with those devices.

@fanildean wrote:

... Any wifi range issues reported? It's probably 50ft from my router to my TV in the other room but multiple turns/walls between the two.

I've not had issues with mine, but there is no point at my location that is 50 ft from an access point on my network.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos