Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comparing Roku 2 (2016) to Roku Premiere (2021)

I purchased the Roku 2 in 2016 and I have had a few issues with automatic updates. Best Buy had a Christmas special and Roku Premiere on sale so I purchased one. No one at Best Buy can tell me if the Roku 2 is a higher version than the Premiere or if the Premiere is better.  I know the technology has improved since 2016 but the new remote does not have the instant access buttons to Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Sling.

Is this a problem?  Should I return the Premiere version and just keep the Roku 2? I must make the decision within 15 days in order to return at Best Buy.

Thank You,

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Comparing Roku 2 (2016) to Roku Premiere (2021)

Roku loves to use model names over and over again, so saying "Roku 2" or "Premiere" doesn't say much.  It's the model number that matters, so post the model numbers if you want a better answer, but having said that any "Roku 2" will be inferior to a "new" Premiere device.  The "instant access" buttons (or partner buttons as Roku calls them) vary and you're never guaranteed to get any particular four buttons.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Somar2230
Reel Rookie

Re: Comparing Roku 2 (2016) to Roku Premiere (2021)

The last Roku 2 model was made in 2015 and is vastly underpowered compared to any current Roku.